Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Rockstar Sugar Free Review


I know what you are thinking: "What is this doing here?" Well, I recently noticed that I don't have reviews of many of the more mainstream energy drinks and over the next several weeks I will try get some and put out some quick reviews. I will start off with Rockstar Sugar Free, an energy drink that I have personally never tried for two reasons - it is diet and just too plain.

Rockstar Sugar Free smells and tastes exactly like the regular Rockstar, except for the subtle diet taste at the end of each sip and in the aftertaste and the light vanilla flavour. After I took a few sips of it, I was reminded why I no longer buy the regular Rockstar - it is just too sweet and tastes like cough syrup with a finish you get mostly from the regular big name energy drinks launched 7-8 years ago. The carbonation, paired with the kick from the citric acid, make this drink quite abusive on the mouth and having it first thing in the morning is not something I recommend doing. I like to start of my days with a warm cup of tea to get things going.

Like most other Rockstar energy drinks, this one contains 160 mg of caffeine, which is pretty much a standard for mainstream 473 mL cans. It is quick acting, but the caffeine does not fully kick in until 30-40 minutes later. Due to the fact that this is a diet drink, I did not experience any jitters from the sugar and the energy gradually started to kick in. First I felt awake and focused, then I felt energized for a good 2 hours and no crash at the end.
Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Taurine - 2000 mg
  • Ginkgo Biloba - 300 mg
  • Caffeine - 160 mg
  • Guarana - 50 mg
  • Inositol - 50 mg
  • Korean Panax Ginseng - 50 mg
  • Milk Thistle Seed Extract - 40 mg
  • Vitamin B3 - 20 mg
  • Vitamin B5 - 20 mg
  • Riboflavin - 7 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 4 mg
  • Vitamin B12 - 12 mcg
Non-Medicinal Ingredients: carbonated water, citric acid, vanilla and wildberry flavour, sodium citrate, caramel color, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, acesulfame potassium, sucralose

Scores:
Cost - $2.99 CAD from 7-11
Taste - 7.4/10
Energy - 7.5/10
Overall - 14.9/20...if you like the regular Rockstar and don't mind the subtle diet taste, you will like this one

No comments:

Post a Comment