Saturday, July 27, 2013

4C Energy Rush Review


So many, many, many months ago I got a variety pack of 4C Energy Rush powders which sat in the back of one my cupboards for....well....many, many, many months, until now. Yeah, that's right, I moved a can of soup this morning and discovered what was buried back there. I quickly opened the box, took one of each flavour and mixed 4 energy drinks.


OK, I am not going to drink all 4 at once because this will probably not end well so what I decided to do instead is try a quarter of each so that I can comment on the energy kick properly....because 4*1/4 = 1.

Energy Rush Berry

This one looks more like a grape flavoured energy drink and not mixed berries, but oddly enough it does smell and taste like a medley of berries. The first thing you notice are the raspberries and then comes the unidentifiable mix of other berries. I think there is some blueberries and blackberries, but I cannot confirm. And last, but not least come some sweet blueberry notes.

So to recap, this drink has a raspberry start, a black box middle and a blueberry finish along with some more raspberries. Not bad at all, except for the sweet, sweet, sweetener finish, which quickly builds.

Taste - 7.8/10

Energy Rush Strawberry

This one has a funky strawberry aroma, part of which is trying to warn me not to expect too much of this. However, this is only partially true because the taste is pretty decent with a subtle strawberry flavour at the start which quickly develops into a stronger sour wild strawberry-like flavour within moments. Unfortunately immediately after the sourness goes away comes some of that funky, chemical taste. A bit weird, but not a huge turn off if you keep drinking because the funkiness is quickly replaced with more of the sourness.

Taste - 7.5/10

Energy Rush Orange

Super strong and inviting orange aroma. Though the flavour seems a bit generic at first, the finish is done very well and brings out some real orange-like flavours and a bit of tangerine. The flavour is sour and refreshing throughout with no funky business.

I know it is not very original, but this is my favourite flavour - it is simple, well done and very refreshing.

Taste - 9/10

Energy Rush Citrus

Unfortunately this one shares not only the same color as one of my cleaning solutions but also the same aroma....not flavour because I am sure the cleaning solution tastes nothing like what it smells like.

The flavour seems creamy with lime up front and some lemon right behind it. It didn't wow me, but it didn't turn me off either. The flavour is refreshing and long lasting. Out of all the 4C flavours, this one probably lasted the longest until I had some water to cleanse my palate.

Taste - 8/10

Energy

Neither the box nor the packets state the amount of caffeine present, but if I had to guess from the pictures on the box (1 packet = 2 x 8.3 fl. oz. energy drinks), I would say that each packet contains around 160 mg of caffeine, or the equivalent of a 473 mL energy drink can.

I can also confirm that each one contains at least that much, because the kick is pretty damn good. I felt awake within minutes of trying the berry one and by the time I was done with the citrus one, I was ready to fly away. Sure I felt a bit jittery, but the kick is unbeatable for the price (OK, it is beatable if these are on sale, but come on!). I felt energetic for 3-4 hours and at the end, I gently came back down on earth without any drama.

If I was going to buy this again, I would go for a box of the orange flavour. Mixed with some ice cold water, it becomes and amazingly refreshing orange drink and almost comparable to an orange Gatorade.

Cost - don't remember, but it is somewhere between $2.50 and $4 for the pack from Meijer

3 comments:

  1. I know it has been a long time since you posted this. I have been drinking these on and off for years...and like you, orange and citrus are my favs too...my problem mainly is that our Marc's store is the only place to find them consistently, and they sell out fast. I don't drink them everyday, just when I need that flight of energy to clean surgical instruments! I never considered buying them online, they seem to be more expensive there. Thanks for the review...Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy them on Netrition.com, they are under 5 bucks a box which is only 50 cents more than it was at my Kroger. You have to pay shipping, but again it's not that expensive compared to Amazon, which is ridiculously priced.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe that you people think this taste good. Well if you like things that taste like crap this is the product for you! Why in the hell would you carbonate this?

    ReplyDelete