Friday, November 20, 2009

Rip It Energy Fuel Sting-er Mo Review


There is nothing better than a good night's sleep, but when you can't get any, there are always stimulants to help you get through the day. Good thing I woke up to a fridge full of energy drinks. When I say full, I mean I had a few. When I was buying some things from the local mall I saw some new energy drinks at the newspaper stand - Rip It. I have never heard of, or seen, these drinks. The newspaper stand had 3 different flavours and I did what anyone in my position would have done, I bought them all. Priced at $1.99 each, they are comparable to buying a large coffee. I think this is a great price for energy drinks. Today I will be trying the drink that was closest to the fridge door - Sting-er Mo.

As soon as I popped the tab and went in for the sniff, I recognized the scent - Monster!!! The drink tastes like it too with the exception of the aftertaste. Sting-er Mo has a cleaner aftertaste without too much of the sweet and medicinal Monster build up. I am not sure if I should go into any more details as Monster is like the Budweiser of the energy drink world. I will say that I would rather pay $1.99 for a 473 mL energy drink that tastes exactly like Monster, than buy a Monster for $2.99. What a shame, I got tricked, just like I got tricked with Lost.

Other than the price, there is another difference between Monster and this - the caffeine content. This can of Rip It contains 200 mg of caffeine, which is more than any of the 473 mL Monster drinks. The Java Monsters do come close with over 190 mg, but this beats them too. The energy started coming in 10 minutes after popping the tab and taking the first sip. It came the same way as many of the Monster-like energy drinks - slow at first, then with a huge, uncontrollable burst led by jitters. After 30 minutes or so, the jitters subsided and I was left feeling refreshed and wide awake. The feeling did not last very long and 2 hours later I was starting to feel tired. By lunch I was quite exhausted and started to experience the symptoms of a crash. In total I got 2.5 to 3 hours of energy which is not good enough for a drink with 200 mg of caffeine.

Scores:
Cost - $1.99 CAD for a 473 mL can
Taste - 6/10...I will give it 0.1 more than I gave Lost because of the aftertaste
Energy - 7.7/10

Overall - 13.7/20...Monster clone with a slightly better aftertaste and a lower price tag

11 comments:

  1. Hey do you live in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I live in US and I don't know anyone in Canada and I've been trying to figure out how to get some Slow Cow and I came upon your review for it and well, is there any way I can get some from you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone else from the UK asked me for the same thing earlier and I pointed them towards the guys who make the drink. They got their Slow Cow. I am not sure how. Try e-mailing them at info@slowcowdrink.com and see if they can give you a discount on shipping. If that doesn't work out I can hit up the local 7-11, to see if they have more of the drink, and the post office to see how the shipping is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the info ill just comment back on what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I e-mailed them it sent me an e-mail back saying my e-mail would not go through. (Sorry about the late reply I've been busy)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's odd, here is their contact webpage: http://www.slowcowdrink.com/slowcow_en.asp?no=260

    Try a phone number or their e-mail again. If it doesn't work, I will be back home in a few weeks and can send you one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried Beaver Buzz energy? I've always wanted to try it and I can't find it anywhere where I am in Ontario. How does it taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried Beaver Buzz. There should be reviews to a bunch of their products on this site. They are AWESOME! I used to be able to find them at most 7-Elevens in Waterloo and GTA, but now I only see them at independent stores and in limited quantities.

      Delete
  8. It actually only has 160 mgs of caffeine. Not 200.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That must be the latest recipe. I remember in 2009, all Rip-Its were packed with caffeine.

      Delete