Sunday, July 26, 2009

Red Rain Energy Drink Review


I have been seeing this drink appear at many locations in the past few years. The first time I saw it, I was at Costco's and noticed that a whole flat of these was less than $20. Right next to the Red Rain was an identical case of Red Bull for around $50. I thought that Red Rain was just another cheap, awful tasting energy drink packed with synthetic caffeine. Later I started seeing it at convenience stores being sold for much less than $2 or 4 for $5. I kept thinking that this was cheap because it was awful so I never bothered buying one. That changed yesterday. I was at the local LobLaws and I saw a shelf full of Red Rain, several different kinds priced at $1.49 CAD. I finally decided to get one to try.

Smells remotely like Red Bull and it tastes a lot like it. A lot like it, but not exactly like it. It seems like the company had taken a batch of Red Bull, diluted it with water and then added some chemicals so the levels of the medicinal ingredients are just like those of Red Bull. It is actually not a bad tasting drink. Even the aftertaste is pretty good. Those who don't enjoy the taste of Red Bull might enjoy this as the taste is mellower.

Energy wise, it works just like a Red Bull probably because it contains the same amount of caffeine - 80 mg per can. I got a quick boost that, just like a Red Bull, lasted for about an hour.

Scores:
Cost - $1.49/can or $4.99/pack
Taste - 8.3/10
Energy - 6/10

Overall - 14.3/20...very good and cheap drink, but it does carry the stigma of a cheap and "fake" energy drink

No comments:

Post a Comment