Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Xyience Xenergy Citrus Slam Energy Drink Review


Finally some new energy drinks made their way into Canada. I got some of the new Xyience drinks. These new ones cost the same as the old ones - $2.99 CAD per can and so far I have only seen them at 7-11. The new black cans look very nice, much cleaner since all the text is on the back side.

Time to crack open the citrus slam one and see what's what. Odd, the beverage is completely clear, I was expecting something orange or dark yellow. The taste is very unique, not the citrus taste I was expecting. It tastes like diet medicine and leaves your mouth feeling dry. The flavour is fairly weak with lemon and lime hints coming in from the distance. The one thing that sticks out the most is the artificial sweetener. OK, here is how I can describe this drink best - take a glass of carbonated water, add a lot of sweetener, squeeze half a lemon and half a lime in, stir. I am only saying half a lemon and lime because of the weak flavour. On the plus side, the finish is very clean and the diet taste only sticks around for a few minutes. What's left after is a fresh mouth feel. To be fully honest, I am a bit disappointed with this drink. When I saw the new cans, which do not bear the "Zero Sugar" label on the front, I thought that Xyience had started making non-diet energy drinks. You actually have to read the ingredients list to see that this is a sugar free drink.

There is another thing! I saw three new flavours of this drink at 7-11 and I picked up 2 of them. The Citrus Slam was one, and the other Lemon Blast. If the Citrus Slam is a lemon and lime combo, what would the Lemon Blast be? Heavy on the lemon flavour and less of the lime? Well, I will find out in a few days...or whenever I have it.

The good thing about these new Xyience drinks is the caffeine content - 200 mg per can, plus some from the guarana. This thing works! I started drinking it when I started writing this review and now I am almost done with it. I was a bit tired having stayed up late playing games, but now, 20 minutes after starting to drink this, I feel great. No jitters, just clean energy. This thing also lasts... 4 hours for me and I did not experience a crash at the end.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99 CAD for a 473 mL can, sold at 7-11
Taste - 6.8/10
Energy - 8.6/10

Overall - 15.4/20...tastes like a diluted diet Sprite, but has a lot of caffeine

No comments:

Post a Comment