Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hype Energy Shot MFP Flavour Review


I like Hype energy drinks. They always deliver a satisfying taste coupled with enough energy to get something done. Last week was the first time I saw the Hype energy shot on sale in Ontario so I picked one up. Today I finally got the chance to crack that seal and try the elixir. The shot costs the standard $2.99 CAD and is 71 mL.

The first thing I noticed was the regular sized cap which I absolutely love. The bottle looks similar to the Rockstar shots, only chubbier and shorter. The shot smells a lot like the Hype MFP energy drink, only not as citric and a bit sweeter. It tastes like a concentrated Hype MFP and the sour kick comes in at the end. Being concentrated, the shot is also sweet and thick. This isn't bad tasting for a shot, not even for an energy drink. The only problem I have is the thickness of the shot which helps the sugar stick to your tongue and the inside of your mouth. The sourness helps with the sweetness a bit.

The shot contains 148 mg of caffeine, which is respectable. I felt a buzz within 10-15 minutes of the first sip which escalated to full caffeine high in another 10 to 15 minutes. I did not experience any jitters, which is always a plus and I felt focused for some time...perhaps 30 to 40 minutes. I wasn't looking at a clock so this is just an estimate. After the focus period, I enjoyed a period of elevated energy levels which lasted for about a couple of hours. On the plus side I did not experience a crash.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Taurine - 1,183 mg
  • D-glucuronalctone - 284 mg
  • Caffeine - 148 mg
  • Niacin - 47 mg
  • Pantothenic Acid - 24 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 5 mg
  • Folic Acid - 0.9 mg
  • Vitamin B12 - 14 mcg
Non-medicinal ingredients: water, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, pectin, salt, sugar, citric acid, sucralose, guarana, panax ginseng, flavours.

1 dose of 71 contains:
  • Carbohydrates - 8 g
  • Fat - 0 g
  • Calories - 35
  • Caffeine - 148 mg
Scores:
Cost - $2.99 CAD for a 71 mL shot
Taste - 7.8/10
Energy - 7.5/10

Overall - 15.3/20...great taste, great performance

No comments:

Post a Comment