Thursday, May 20, 2010

HyDrive Energy Alertness Formula Review


Today I am trying an US-only product that was sent to me by Team HyDrive. In fact, they sent me a box with all of the HyDrive Energy formulas, which I will be trying and reviewing over the next week. Today I am having the Alertness Formula, which is kiwi strawberry flavoured. I only had about 4 hours of sleep so I think this morning will be the perfect time to try it.

The first thing I noticed about this, and all the other HyDrive products, is the calories number on the top of the cap. I thought that it's a nice touch.


Upon twisting the cap off, I was greeted by a pleasant kiwi aroma with strawberries in the distance. The more I kept smelling it, the more the aroma was changing between strawberries and kiwi as both are similarly sour. The taste is fantastic. It is sour and refreshing and lightly sweet at the end. The sourness comes from the kiwi and strawberry flavours, which also alternate in the taste. The aftertaste is slightly dry from the sour bite, but overall very enjoyable. The taste of strawberries, and a little bit of kiwi, linger for some time after you have finished enjoying the beverage. There are no unpleasant tastes from the energy blend, which is always good. The beverage is non-carbonated and goes down easily, it is not too sweet so you will not have to make a run for the sink to get some water.

The front of the label says "Enhanced Water Energy Drink", but this tasted much better than any other enhanced water I have ever had. This enhanced water actually had some flavour and did not taste watery at all. When I saw the "30" calories cap, I was expecting a diet-tasting drink, but this, once again, surprised me as it did not taste like a beverage with only 30 calories.

There are 145 mg of caffeine in the bottle, which was more than expected to be honest. The energy started to come in gradually within 20 minutes and was very clean, i.e. no jitters. A few minutes later I felt becoming more focused on what I was doing, an experience similar to what some energy shots offer. I liked it. The focus lasted for about 20 minutes, which is not bad, but I have experienced longer periods from some energy shots. Forty-fifty minutes after I started drinking this I reached an energy peak and remained there for about 3 hours. I did not experience a crash at the end or any unpleasant results. This works great.

This is a great energy drink and I cannot wait to try the other 5 formulas. The only negative thing I have to say about HyDrive Energy is that they are not available in Canada. US residents always get the best drinks.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Caffeine - 145 mg
  • Taurine - 50 mg
  • L-Carnitine - 25 mg
  • L-Arginine - 25 mg
  • Niacin - 20 mg
  • Pantothenic Acid - 10 mg
  • Panax Ginseng - 5 mg
  • Guarana - 5 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 2 mg
  • Vitamin B12 - 6 mcg
Non-Medicinal Ingredients: purified water, sucrose, citric acid, sodium citrate, natural flavour, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, monopotassium phosphate, sucralose, gum arabic, calcium pantothenate, magnesium chloride hexahydrate, glycerol ester of wood rosin, Red #40, Blue #1

Scores:
Cost - ??? not sold in Canada
Taste - 9.4./10
Energy - 7.9/10

Overall - 17.3/20...non-carbonated and very easy to drink the entire bottle. Fantastic taste and great, clean energy boost

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you are getting to try more US drink. I really like the HyDrive lineup, they have all impressed me so far.

    ReplyDelete