Tuesday, March 27, 2012

NOS Electric Cherry Energy Drink Review


Here is the second of the two new flavours that appeared on the Canadian market. The first one I reviewed was the Charged Lime. I picked this up from a nearby No Frill Supermarket and only because I looked at the NOS display a little more closely. The color on this can is very close to the that of the existing NOS Fruit Punch, so at first glance I did not even notice the new NOS Electric Cherry.

Taste

Like the Charged Lime NOS, this one is very carbonated at the start so you will have to wait for a moment for all the bubbles to die before you experience the true taste, which is pretty damn good...and I don't even like cherry flavoured drinks that much.

The taste is a combination of sweet and sour cherries with citric acid added for a good measure. The sweet cherries appear first, once the carbonation dies and give the flavour a nice start. Their taste is very well defined and I thought I could taste the real fruit. Following the sweet start are the sour cherries which give you a crisp and dry finish before the sweetener aftertaste kicks in. Yes, this is another sugar free drink without the sugar full alternative available on the market (at least at the time of this review). But like the Charged Lime, the sweetener aftertaste has been toned down and does not feel as sweet and intrusive as some other sugar free drinks on the market (both energy and regular ones).

Overall, I found myself really enjoying this new cherry flavour. If you are a cherry fan, you will like this one for sure.

Energy

As always, NOS comes near the top with their higher caffeine content - 194 mg. The effects of the drink are excellent and apparent within minutes. I had little sleep and felt a bit asleep when I got out of the shower this morning, but after taking a few large gulps of this can, I felt a jolt that woke me up in just a few minutes. By the time I got ready for my day (about 20 minutes after I drank half the can), I was feeling awake, focused and very energized.

No jitters were experienced and the energy delivery felt very smooth. The kick lasted for almost 4 hours and there was no crash at the end.

These two new NOS flavours are pretty solid, but out of the two, the Electric Cherry is my favorite one.

Scores:
Cost - $2.97
Taste - 8.5/10
Energy - 8.5/10

Overall - 17/20...fantastic sugar free flavour with an excellent kick

4 comments:

  1. We have this in the US but it's called Loaded Cherry not electric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite energy drinks, especially taste wise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite energy drinks, especially for the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got this today and it taste like cepacol throat losanges, yuk

    ReplyDelete