Saturday, October 20, 2012

Havana Cappuccino Mocha Colada Review


After having enjoyed Havana's Vanilla Amaretto, I decided to start my day with their other flavour I picked up from Meijer's - Mocha Colada. Hmmm, I am starting to see a pattern in the names here - Amaretto, Colada...

Taste

As expected this drink is darker and has a heavy chocolate presence. In fact the chocolate flavour is so heavy that it almost drowns the coffee throughout and it is not until well into the aftertaste that you get a sense of the coffee. Fortunately the chocolate tastes great! It is not very sweet so by the end of the can you are not left with a sickly sweet chocolate taste in your mouth, but the taste of semi-sweet delicious chocolate. I really enjoyed that.

Now, I am a bit confused by the word "Colada". Though there are notes of coconut throughout the flavour and the aftertaste, when I looked up the word "Colada", one of the results was for a large coffee that is meant to be shared. Perhaps this was a smart marketing plan to mean both "Pina Colada" and a large coffee?   Well congratulations on the picking the name, it is very good.

Energy

I felt like I got a much better kick out of this flavour than the previous Vanilla Amaretto and I wondered why for a bit until I went looking for the empty Amaretto can to compare the ingredients and the nutritional information. Yep, my suspicions were confirmed - the Mocha has more sugar.

The initial hit I got from the sugar woke up straight up and gave me a slight jittery feeling. But was exactly what I needed to get out of my morning zombie state. The jitters settled after 10-15 minutes and I was enjoying the kick I was getting from the caffeine for well over 2 hours.

If you are looking for a more immediate jolt, get this flavour over the Amaretto one.

Scores:
Cost - $2+
Taste - 9/10
Energy - 7/10

Overall - 16/20...excellent semi-sweet flavour with a nice initial kick

No comments:

Post a Comment