Sunday, June 23, 2013

Starbucks Iced Coffee Review


Starbucks recently launched (read: 2 months ago) a new line of bottled iced coffees that are lightly sweetened. Of course this being Canada, we still don't have these for sale. So, last time I went across the border I bought a bunch to review and drink when needed.

First off, I love the new bottle design. When I picked this up at Meijer, they were placed next to some of the smaller Starbucks iced coffees and easily stood out. The glass also feels very solid in my hand and I can picture this easily surviving a drop from your hand. OK, now onto the taste.

Taste

I love it! As advertised this iced coffee has been only lightly sweetened so the coffee flavour is the main actor here and can be easily tasted from the start til well into the finish. The milk provides smoothness and easy drink-ability without affecting the flavour profile up front. In the finish the milk still gives the flavour a bit of raunchiness as expected.

Overall I really enjoyed this iced coffee and cannot wait for Starbucks to bring this across the border so that I can buy these more frequently.

Energy

According to the Starbucks website, there are approximately 115 mg of caffeine in the bottle. The kick comes in 2 stages - a quick burst to wake you up within 10 minutes of chugging a good portion of the bottle without experiencing any jitters (I only say this because it was a warm morning, the coffee was cold and smooth and I couldn't stop myself from drinking most of it in one go).

The second stage is of course the caffeine kick which doesn't come for another 20 or so minutes and the transition from stage 1 to 2 is smooth. The kick lasts for a couple of hours and ends without any drama (crash).

Scores:
Cost - $1.99 from Meijer
Taste - 9/10
Energy - 7.2/10

Overall - 16.2/20...one of the better tasting iced coffees on the market - light and smooth with a nice coffee punch

No comments:

Post a Comment