Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Muscle Monster Coffee Energy Shake Review

Yes, this is a work-out shake made by Monster, containing both protein and caffeine...and costs around $2 at Meijer (at least when I picked it up).

Taste

First off, the mouth-feel resembles that of a protein shake - it is thick, creamy and sticks to the inside of your mouth. It also feels very dry...or it dries out your mouth.

This Monster does taste like coffee, and though the flavour is present throughout, I found it to be weakened by the tons of sugar and milk added. Some chocolate and vanilla notes are also present, but the coffee is the predominant main flavour.

After a few sips you will notice a dry, chalky feel from all the extra ingredients. I didn't care much for that, but I guess it is expected from products like these.

The aftertaste is a bit raunchy as expected with many of these iced coffees due to the milk, but at least some sweet coffee notes linger for long time.

This drink is SWEET. It is veeery sweet, yet there are only 19 g of sugar per can. I had to get some water after 1/3 of the can.

From the protein shakes I have had the pleasure (or displeasure) or trying, I think this is a pretty tasty one, but 25 g of protein may not be enough for some (but what do I know about this).

Energy/Performance

I cannot comment on the performance of the drink since I am not working out at the moment, nor do I normally work out, so I will skip that part and focus on the energy.

There are 156 mg of caffeine in the can, which is almost on par with other Monsters (except for the diet ones). The effects are slow to come and it took me about 20-25 minutes to start feeling awake. On the plus side, the kick is gradually and there are no jitters. Once the drink had fully kicked in, I felt very good, surprisingly good considering the late night drinking and the early rising (can't stay in bed, I love mornings).

I felt energized for the entire morning and started to slow down a bit around lunch, but also I was getting hungry and I was walking around a lot. There was no crash at the end.

Scores:
Cost - $1.96 from Meijer
Taste - 8.1/10
Energy - 8.1/10

Overall - 16.2/20...sweeeeeet, thick, creamy, slow acting, but a good energy kick

No comments:

Post a Comment