Saturday, August 9, 2014

Rockstar Pure Zero Silver Ice Review


I love the look and feel of this can. I feel like I am stuck in black and white country. The only color there is that of the American flag on the back of the can.

This energy drink is not yet available in Canada and have absolutely no idea when it will come or if it even makes its way here. I got this from a Meijer grocery store somewhere in Michigan for $2.

Taste

Citrus...this is totally citrus fruit packed from start to finish. It starts off with a strong and very well executed orange flavor and then moves to a combination of orange, tangerine and lime, each of which are clearly defined. I was blown away by how well each of the flavors was done as it almost reminded me of drinking their freshly squeezed juices. Amazing! The balance was also just right - not too sweet, not too plain, just right. 

Wait, the flavor is not the only good part. The aftertaste was suspiciously pleasant. There was very little of the sweetener which is the one thing that stops me from drinking diet drinks. But this energy drink...wow...I couldn't even taste that from the first few sips. Maybe after sip 4 or 5 I started getting that slightly sweet artificial sweetener note.

Overall - very impressed by the Silver Ice.

Energy

Amazingly, there are 240 mg of caffeine in the can. Did manufacturers start to pack more caffeine all of the sudden? If they did, great for us and good for them for finding a way to get more of the good stuff without sacrificing the flavor. Remember years ago when the more caffeine you had, the worse the drink tasted? I remember drinking energy drinks with 200 mg of caffeine where you could really taste the bitterness. Well, no more bitterness my friends! 

Silver Ice's energy delivery is amazingly smooth for the amount of caffeine there is, however, you will have to pace yourself when consuming it. I felt a clean buzz within 10 minutes of taking the first few sips. I suddenly felt sharper and more focused for 10-15 minutes without any of the jitters. Wow, it was amazing. I don't think I have felt this from such a mass produced drink in a while. After the initial 25 or so minutes, you start to feel a bit more energetic and you really want to get up and run around. Not that I did that, but that's what I wanted to do. The effects last for 4-5 hours and there is no crash at the end.

As I mentioned earlier, pace yourself for the smooth delivery. If you chug this all at once, then you will experience some jitters and be uncomfortably energetic. You have to feed in the caffeine over the course of 25-30 minutes. Get some ice if you want the energy drink to stay cold.

Again, I am very impressed with this drink and I will definitely buy more when I cross the border.

Scores:
Cost - $2 from Meijer
Taste - 9/10
Energy - 9.5/10

Overall - 18.5/20...clean and well executed taste with a ton of caffeine

No comments:

Post a Comment