Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Red Bull The Cherry Edition


Looks like Red Bull is starting to worry about market share. This is the second new Red Bull I have tried in the past few weeks and the fourth new flavor in the last year and a half.

The Cherry Edition is not yet available in Canada, but I assume it would be very soon as the ingredients are virtually identical across all flavors and if the Canadian government has allowed one to come across the border, than all of the other ones should be allowed as well.

Taste

The Cherry Edition is a zero calorie drink. It has a deep red color that reminds me of a Jolly Rancher, and an aroma that is somewhere between a regular Red Bull and a cherry soda. 

The drink is very carbonated and I could barely taste anything the first few sips until I held a sip in my mouth. Up front you get very light, yet briefly intense and a little sour cherry notes (yup, wild cherries). I would compare the intense moments to eating the powder from a powdered drink. Following the cherry flavor is a light cranberry and regular Red Bull flavor. The aftertaste is very dry with lingering cherry notes.

What surprised me a little is how little of the sweetener you taste. The intense/concentrated sour cherry flavor keeps any off putting sweetener flavors at bay until well into the aftertaste. Even then, their presence is minimal. Not a bad drink overall, but cherry is just not a flavor that excites me.

Energy

The can contains 114 mg of caffeine and no surprises. The effects start off in about 15 minutes with a light jolt and made me feel awake and slightly more focused on what I was doing. Since there is no sugar, I felt no jitters.

In another 15 minutes I was feeling very energized and still fairly focused on what I was doing. The kick lasted for about 2 hours before slowly disappearing, but without a crash or any other negative side effects.

Scores:
Cost - $3.19
Taste - 8.2/10
Energy - 7/10

Overall - 15.2/20...great flavor and a decent kick

No comments:

Post a Comment