Thursday, June 11, 2015

Mountain Dew Dew Shine


I have been reading and reading about this interesting new product by Mountain Dew for weeks now. I was so pumped and determined to find a case of the Dew Shine when I went down south that I tried using every excuse to stop at every convenience store, gas station and grocery store I was able to...and then I finally found it. I found a whole stash of it at a WalMart in Maryland. I got a few 4-packs for $2.99 each...I was sooo happy.

Dew Shine is made to look sort of like moonshine which is why the "non-alcoholic" label is so prominently displayed on the front label. This Dew is made with real sugar (not corn syrup) and has no added color. In fact, the only ingredients include water, sugar, natural and artificial flavor, citric acid, caffeine and a few preservatives for flavor and freshness.

The Dew Shine is very bubbly and has a very sweet, syrup-like aroma carrying a blend of lemon/lime notes (more lime than lemon). The moment the dew touches your tongue, you are hit by a sugary, candy-like wave of flavor. There is a lot of sweetness, but it feels clean and round without being too over the top. The difference between using sugar and corn syrup is obvious right off the bat.

After the candy sweetness settles, notes of lime come through, followed by lemon and hints of vanilla and sugar...yeah, sugar. Imagine chewing on a sugar cube. That's the kind of sugar that finishes off this Dew and I love it. I prefer this way more over the regular Mountain Dew, which I find to be too sweet with too much of an artificial bite (yes, I know that there is artificial flavor here, but it isn't in your face).

There are 54 mg of caffeine in the bottle which is approaching energy drink category so I decided to add a quick blurb on the energy. The kick comes in quick from the sugar, gives you a bit of a buzz and lasts for close to an hour.

Overall, I really, really liked this Mountain Dew. The sweetness is pleasant, the flavor is good and you get a nice buzz. I just wish this was available in Canada.

Taste - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment