Thursday, August 27, 2009

Red Rain Tropical Mango Review


Last night I picked up a few more drinks for work. Today I brough in the Red Rain Tropical Mango, the 3rd Red Rain flavour. There are 2 more flavours, but I was not able to find the Acai-Blu one. I got the cans from 7-11 for $1.99 CAD each, but I am pretty sure you can find them other places for a lot less money, like at Loblaws. I got the original for $1.49 from there. I have been told that you can get Red Rain in pack of 4 from Wal-Mart for around $5 CAD, but I cannot confirm that yet.

I poured the contents of the 250 mL can in a mug because the top was dirty. I am starting to think that the 7-11 I go to has some problems in the storage room. Anyways, the drink is pale orange and clear. To be honest I was expecting it to be a bit cloudy like NOS. It tastes a lot like the original Red Rain (which tastes just like Red Bull), but with some mango flavouring. I can also detect a higher level of citric acid because it tastes a bit more sour than other similar drinks.
The mango flavouring tastes a bit artificial. I think you will get the same effect if you were to get a package of powdered juice and add a bit to a can of regular Red Rain. The aftertaste is very refreshing with hints of mango and the sting of citric acid on the tongue. Overall it tastes surprisingly good and the sweetness level is just right, at least for me.

Just like most 250 mL energy drinks, this one contains 80 mg of caffeine per can, which should be enough to wake you up if you are a caffeine addict, but not enough to get you going for several hours. I recommend seconds in 2 - 3 hours after consuming a can of this.

Scores:
Cost - $1.99 CAD, but many places sell it for less
Taste - 8.3/10...if it was a little less acidic and a bit less artificial tasting, I would have given it more
Energy - 6/10

Overall - 14.3/20

No comments:

Post a Comment