Monday, September 7, 2009

Rage Energy Drink Review


What a find, I got this at 7-11 for only $0.99 CAD. There were a whole bunch of drinks on sale for $0.99 - the whole line of Chaotic energy drinks, 2 flavours of Rage, a bunch of V8s, some orange juices, vitamin waters, etc. Like other drinks I have bought from that 7-11, the top of this one was also dirty so I had to use my trusty thinkgeek mug. Drinking Rage this way allowed me to see what it looked like. Check out the pic.


It pours like no other energy drink I have seen because it pours like a beer, like a very horrible macrobrew with a lot of carbonation, some head and no lacing. The head even remained there for 1-2 minutes. There was a lot more when I first poured it, but it dissolved by the time I went for the camera, turned it on and had taken the shot. Check out that color, it looks like NOS and the Tropical Red Rain, only a bit cloudy.

They should call this Liquid Candy, because that's what it tastes like. The first thing I noticed was the smell, it smelled like yellow gummy bears. At first it tasted like them too, but then the full taste hit me and the citric acid made it hard to taste much. I experienced the same sour effect you get from eating lemons. I have found that this makes a huge difference in the
aftertaste - it is much cleaner, which at first was the same you get from eating yellow gummy bears. Much cleaner does not mean that there won't be any aftertaste, I am just saying that it will not be as sweet as when you first start consuming the energy drink. With Rage, there is still a hint of that generic cough syrup undertone you get when drinking Monster or AMP. This cough syrup taste is much stronger at first, but after the sour taste has done its job destroying your taste buds, you cannnot detect it as much. There are some fruity hints while drinking the beverage - mango and passion fruit. Hands down this is the most unusual combination of flavours I have encountered in an energy drink so far.

This can contains the typical amount of caffeine you will find in a 473 mL container - 160 mg. The weird thing about this one was that 3 hours later I still had a lot of energy and just wanted to do things. On the down side, I did experience a crash 5 hours later, not a horrendous one, but enough to make me want to take a nap. Rage advertises the use of creatine in this beverage. Like many other energy drinks, there are a bunch of "energy" ingredients written near the top of the can - taurine, guarana, ginseng, creatine and vitamins. I have not seen creatine advertised on other energy drinks before, but then again I don't remember these things, unless written out in huge, huge letters, like Rage has done. In short, creatine is "a nitrogenous organic acid that occurs naturally in vertebrates and helps to supply energy to muscle". Here is a link to an interesting creatine read.

Scores:
Cost - $0.99 CAD on special from 7-11
Taste - 7.8/10...unusual combination of flavours, but nothing too exciting
Energy - 7.5/10

Overall - 15.3/20

No comments:

Post a Comment