Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Zhinergy Apple Berry Pomegranate Acai Review


I came across this all natural source of energy beverage last night at 7-11. It says it is 100% juice blend and the caffeine comes from the guarana extract. There are two flavours that I saw - one was this, and the other I did not read, but saw that it was orange. Both cost the same - $2.99 CAD per bottle.

As expected the juice is dark red in color. The apple is the dominant taste followed by the pomegranate. There is a hint of a blueberry taste with a slight tartness in the finish from cranberries. Underneath all there is a slight reminder that this drink contains ginseng. In the finish I noticed a slight plastic taste, the kind you get from leaving your water bottle in the car, which you had left in the sun. The taste goes away very quickly so it is not like you are tasting plastic the whole time. This is definitely a great morning beverage, except that for some reason you don`t get any vitamin C or fiber.

Below the Nutrition Facts table, there is a statement in bold saying that a bottle of Zhinergy contains as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. OK, that`s a bit broad. Wolfram Alpha tells me that there are 146 mg of caffeine in a standard Canadian cup of coffee, which is 227 mL. So, I would have to conclude that there are around 140 mg of caffeine per bottle, which is not too bad for a 300 mL juice drink. I felt a nice buzz soon after drinking this, which carried me through to lunch. I also experienced some jitters though.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99 CAD for a 300 mL bottle from 7-11
Taste - 8.0/10
Energy - 7.3/10

Overall - 15.3/20...as mentioned, a great morning beverage

1 comment:

  1. I would have to conclude that there are around 140 mg of caffeine per bottle, which is not too bad for a 300 mL juice drink.

    aminosaure

    ReplyDelete