Thursday, October 8, 2009

Fuel Cell Appleberry Energy Shot Review


A few days ago I was in 7-11 loading up on caffeinated drinks for the week and I picked up a couple of energy shots. There was a promotion on the Fuel Cell shots - 2 for 1. It worked out great for me because there were two kinds - appleberry and tropical fruits. I am glad I have the energy shots on my desk this morning as I had around 5 hours of sleep and a long day ahead of me.

This energy shot looks strange. When I opened it, there was a thick layer of foam beneath the cap. The shot smelled pretty good - berries with a slight sour hint of apples. There was a weird undertone to remind you that this drink contains a ton of caffeine, but otherwise the smells was much better than the NRG shots (both Ice Blue Chill and Mandarin Orange). OK, the taste is just as bad as the NRG shots. At first there is a sour sensation in your mouth and you think - "hey, this is not so bad." And then a horrible bitterness hits your tongue and not the kind you get from coffee. The finish...guess what...bitter, but this time long. The bitterness stays on your tongue for a couple of minutes reminding you of the horrible taste. The flavour is nowhere to be found. I think the bitterness overpowers any sensors able to detect the flavour. I think the smell is there to prevent you from throwing the drink out when you first open it. I took two sips of this and didn't want to take a third one to finish it.

Well, since this is an energy shot, it contains a ton of caffeine - 225 mg to be exact (I know, not a ton, what a waste of your time reading this). As bad as this tastes, it works. I was feeling the rush shortly after consuming 2/3 of the bottle. When I say rush, I mean copious amounts of uncontrollable energy with a side dish of jitters. I don't think this energy type of energy is good for mental work, but it sure works for physical work. At least with the NRG shots there was a brief calm moment when I was feeling focused enough to do some work.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99 CAD per shot. I got mine 2 for 1
Taste - 1.5/10...I am giving it an extra 0.5 because of the nice smell
Energy - 9/10

Overall - 10.5/20...just barely acceptable. I suggest not letting this touch your tongue

3 comments:

  1. It seem nice drink. I think taste would be great. I am definitely going to try this.

    vitamine b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since this is an energy shot, it contains a ton of caffeine - 225 mg to be exact.As bad as this tastes, it works.

    nahrungserganzung

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - I live in the UK and would like to get hold of a can of ‘Slow Cow’ from Canada - Although it would be good to have the contents - happy with just the can - Could anyone help out - buy one , drink the contents and mail me the can. I’ll pay all costs via paypal.

    Thanks so much - my email address is claire@temperateisle.com

    ReplyDelete