Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hype Energy Shot Marionberry Flavour Review


Yesterday's NOS fiasco left me hesitant as to whether or not I should have something caffeinated this morning, but an all nighter decided I should. Late last night I was a the local 24 hr Foodland and I came across their well stocked caffeinated section in which I found this energy shot. How lucky! Just a couple of days ago I tried the MFP flavour and found it to be pretty good. The Marionberry shot also costs $2.99 CAD and comes in the same container, only white with a blue cap.

What is marioneberry? Well, according to the all-knowing Wikipedia, marionberry is a hybrid caneberry developed by the USDA ARS breeding program. It is a cross between the chehalem and olallie berries. The marionberry is currently the most common blackberry cultivar, accounting for over half of all blackberries produced in Oregon. Hmm, this brings more questions - what is chehalem and olallie and what does this marionberry look like? Don't be lazy, follow the link and see for yourselves.

Now, lets get to the shot. It doesn't smell very good. In fact, it smells a lot like all of those Fuel Cell shots that I don't like very much. Tastewise it is better than the worst shots. There is stinging sensation at first, but then the flavour comes. It does taste like some berries with a sour kick at the end, which really helps the flavour. Underneath the flavour lurks a sugary taste which is subdued by the sour kick and makes for a more enjoyable shot. Unlike the MFP flavour, this shot is not as thick and not as sweet. The finish is very sour which actually helps freshen up your breath. The one thing I noticed about the flavour is the presence of plastic notes. Lets hope that this comes from the shot container and not from the flavour of the shot. Why would you want to add a plastic flavour to anything?

This shot contains 148 mg of caffeine just like the MFP flavour. Within 15 minutes I was fully awake and ready to tackle some of my daily tasks. I experienced no jitters, and once again I had about 30 minutes of focus. The energy high lasted for about a couple of hours and I did not experience a horrible crash like I did with the huge NOS bottle from yesterday.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Taurine - 1,183 mg
  • D-glucuronalctone - 284 mg
  • Caffeine - 148 mg
  • Niacin - 47 mg
  • Pantothenic Acid - 24 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 5 mg
  • Folic Acid - 0.9 mg
  • Vitamin B12 - 14 mcg
Non-medicinal ingredients: water, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, pectin, salt, sugar, citric acid, sucralose, guarana, panax ginseng, flavours.

1 dose of 71 contains:
  • Carbohydrates - 8 g
  • Fat - 0 g
  • Calories - 35
  • Caffeine - 148 mg
Scores:
Cost - $2.99 CAD for a 71 mL shot
Taste - 7.4/10
Energy - 7.5/10

Overall - 14.9/20...tastes pretty good and has a nice sour kick in the finish, great performance

No comments:

Post a Comment