Saturday, April 24, 2010

Headshot Original Mega Energy Shot Review


So I didn't know that Headshot had an original flavour, but I guess they do since I bought this from a near-by convenience store. The only thing that is different about this mega energy shot is the color of the cap and label, the price remains the same at $2.99 CAD.

For an original flavour, the aroma is not very original. It has the typical sweet Red Bull scent. The taste reminded me a lot of the Red Bull energy shot, because it does share the same basic flavour. The shot is sweet at the beginning but very sour at the end which actually is not a bad thing because it helps the finish become a touch refreshing. Not much else to say here since most people have had Red Bull and know what it tastes like. This is just a bit sweeter and non-carbonated. There...that's it. Actually, that is not all. I feel a little cheated. A small can of Red Bull costs around $2.59 in my part of the town and is 250 mL. This is less than half its size and costs $2.99, yet it has the same flavour and same caffeine content. Though the shot tastes pretty good, I would rather pay less and drink more. There, now I am done.

Just like the other Headshot mega shots, this one contains only 80 mg of caffeine...the same amount found in a can of Red Bull and, of course, in the Red Bull energy shot. After a sleepless night, I was refreshed rather quickly. I started to wake up within 15 minutes of consuming the shot and within another 10 I was feeling great, as if I had a good night's sleep, except for the fact that this feeling would end in an hour or two. Once all of the ingredients had fully kicked in, I was ready for anything. I experienced no jitters or any unpleasantness. The shot, as expected, lasted just over an hour and then I started to get very tired and lazy. I needed more.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Taurine - 1,000 mg
  • Caffeine - 80 mg
  • Guarana - 50 mg
  • Niacin - 10 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 4 mg
  • Pantothenic acid - 3 mg
  • Vitamin B12 - 4 mcg
Non-medicinal Ingredients: filtered water, sucrose, natural flavours, artificial flavours, inositol, sodium benzoate, maltol, FD&C Yellow No. 6.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99 CAD for a 118 mL shot
Taste - 8.5/10
Energy - 6/10

Overall - 14.5/20...almost an identical copy of the Red Bull energy shot in terms of taste and caffeine content

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been eyeing these down everytime I go to the store. I just have a hard time throwing down 3 dollars on an energy shot. I want to do a review on them but I am just not sure if they are worth it. Do you recommend giving them a try?

    -Bryan (http://www.caffeineaholic.net)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Apple Slam one. The blueberry one was OK, and the Original one was also decent. If you want to try and review one, I strongly suggest the Apple one...that is if you like apples. If not, the blueberry one is also something exciting to try.

    ReplyDelete