Friday, April 23, 2010

Guru Lite Energy Drink Review


I have never had Guru Lite before, but I decided to get a can since I found a store that carried most of the flavours. I love the look of this can with its light silver and white tones and that giant, sideways GURU name in red. Just like the regular can of Guru, this is also 355 mL and not 250 and it costs $2.99 CAD.

Surprisingly Guru Lite has an aroma that is identical to the regular Guru. I was expecting something more mellow, something less intense. The taste, of course, is where the two drinks differ. The lite version tastes like...well...a diet version of the original drink. The initial salty taste is gone and replaced by a sharp sweetener one. The taste of grape is gone, but the taste of lemon remains. The finish is very, very crisp and there is barely an aftertaste. The taste that remains is mostly lemony with some sweeteners. The thing I noticed about this drink is that even though sweeteners have been used, their taste does not build up nor does that artificial sweetness that some energy drinks have. This is a very enjoyable lite energy drink with a clean finish, but not much taste.

This being a Guru does not come with the caffeine content written on the back of the can. After some research online with some conflicting results, I am going to have to say that the drink contains around 140 - 145 mg of caffeine. Some sites claimed that this is as low as 97 mg, but I doubt it based on the energy boost I got, which started to gradually kick in around 20 minutes after I started drinking the beverage. I got some jitters around the 35 - 40 minute mark, but they didn't last long. Once the jitters subsided, I started to enjoy the elevated energy, but unlike the regular Guru that I had yesterday, the energy boost that I got from the Lite version made me want to run around at first. Perhaps this was due to the energy that I got from the extra sleep last night. This energy high lasted for about 20 - 30 minutes and then I was back down to feeling energized, but not to the point that I couldn't concentrate on anything I was doing. The energy lasted for well over 3 hours at which point it started to fade.

Medicinal Ingredients: Guarana, Panax Ginseng, Ginkgo Biloba, Echinacea.

Non-Medicinal Ingredients: sparkling water, lemon juice concentrate, natural flavours, salt, sucralose.
Scores:
Cost - $2.99 CAD for a 355 mL can
Taste - 8/10
Energy - 8.5/10

Overall - 16.5/20...light and clean taste/finish with plenty of energy

No comments:

Post a Comment