Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Vojo Extreme Energy Mints Citrus Review


When I was at 7-11 purchasing BaBoom yesterday, I also picked up a pack of Citrus Vojo Extreme Energy Mints for $2.59. I love the packaging and not only because of its simplicity but also because of the rubberized plastic. I am a sucker for that material. I don't know why I went for the citrus flavour and not the peppermint one, which I will probably get next time.

Unlike the mints I have reviewed so far, these ones are small, the size of a pill. The website says that there are around 40 mints per container so you have plenty to eat. The one thing I don't like about the container is the small opening for the mints. I have to shake it several times for a mint to come out because every time I flip the container over, all the mints clump together and block the opening. The mints are not really mints since they taste like oranges and not peppermint/spearmint. The flavour is very intense and enjoyable at first but after 30 seconds it starts turning bitter. The taste is still sour, but there is some bitterness, which ruins the experience a little. After a minute or so the bitterness starts to disappear leaving the pleasant and strong taste of oranges which is very refreshing. The immediate aftertaste is also very refreshing, but over time it develops into something you would get from drinking a diet drink.

According to the Vojo Energy website, each mint contains around 10 mg of caffeine for a total of roughly 400 mg per container. Hmmm, 400 mg for $2.59 is a great deal if you ask me. Obviously 1 mint doesn't do much, but when you have a few at a time, a buzz can be easily felt. Since there are only 10 mg of caffeine per mint, I am surprised that there is some bitterness to the taste. With Foosh you still have a bit of bitterness, but it is not as strong and each mint packs a 100 mg caffeine punch, 10 times more than Vojo. So depending on the number of mints you take each time, the buzz will be different and the duration will also be different. To be honest, I do like the small mints and the fact that each contains only 10 mg of caffeine. That way I can take only a few if I need a short boost, or I can take more if I need something extra.

Medicinal Ingredients: caffeine, taurine, guarana seed extract

Non-Medicinal Ingredients: sorbitol, citric acid, malic acid, natural and artificial flavors, magnesium stearate, sucralose, ascorbic acid, silicon dioxide.

Scores:
Cost - $2.59 CAD for a pack of 40 mints
Taste - 8/10
Energy - depends, but per mint no more than a 2/10

Overall - 8/10...not factoring in the energy boost since there are so many mints per container

No comments:

Post a Comment