Friday, June 11, 2010

iShot Decaff Acai Berry Energy Shot Review


The guys from iShot Energy sent me not only the original flavour, but also a decaff, acai berry one, which has an identical look with the exception of the purple circle.

Upon twisting off the cap, I was hit by the most intoxicating and pleasant energy shot scent, one that reminded me of expensive juices. The aroma is a combination of concord grapes, berries and acai berries. The taste is just as amazing - a tart combination of concord grapes and berries. You can taste the sweetener in this shot much easier than in the original flavour shot. Though the diet taste is not strong, it is there. The aftertaste is tart and carries a strong grape/berry flavour. The diet aftertaste comes in 3 minutes later, but is not very strong, just enough to remind you that it is there. This energy shot is one of the best tasting, if not the best, energy shot I have tried.

Since this is a decaff energy shot, there is no caffeine. Does it work then? Yes, but not in the same way that caffeinated energy shots work. The energy comes from the vitamins - folic acid, B12, etc. It does not give you that energy high that makes you want to get up from your chair and run around in circles. The way it works is by refreshing you and providing energy for the rest of the day, but not the same type of energy you get from caffeine. I was not suddenly awakened by the shot, but after I had a cup of tea, I felt fantastic for the next few hours...and I only had a few hours of sleep thanks to the World Cup. I did not feel tired after lunch nor in the afternoon like I usually do. The shot kind of works the same way a healthy lunch meal does, making you feel energized for the rest of the day and not tired like a fatty meal would.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Vitamin B2 - 0.3 mg
  • Vitamin B3 (Niacin) - 18 mg
  • Vitamin B5 - 6 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 4 mg
  • Vitamin B9 - 400 mcg
  • Vitamin B12 - 1 mcg
  • Taurine
  • Siberian Ginseng Infusion
  • L-Carnitine
  • Green Tea Extract
  • Inositol
Non-Medicinal Ingredients: spring water, maltodextrin, citric acid, natural flavourings, sucralose, acesulfame k, potassium sorbate, natural color (grape skin extract).

Scores:
Cost - not sold in Canada, but can be bought online from iShotEnergy
Taste - 9.2/10
Energy - 7/10...I wish it had caffeine for that initial kick, but once I was fully awake, I felt energetic

Overall - 16.2/20...one of the best tasting energy shots I have tried. The vitamins do give you long term energy, but caffeine junkies will probably demand that initial high, which this does not provide

No comments:

Post a Comment