Wednesday, June 9, 2010

iShot Original Energy Shot Review


Yesterday I received a few samples of iShot, a UK energy shot which unfortunately is not sold in Canada. The company sent me a few photos to use for the review, but I chose to take some photos of my own because I loved the feel of the shot and the label.

In the promo photos, the shots look glossy, but the ones I received have a very attractive matte label with arguably the best layout/label design I have seen on an energy shot. I like how so much information the back of the label contains without making it too difficult to read or understand. The text is both horizontal and vertical, taking full advantage of every possible open space on the back.


The front is fairly clean with some text around the top. The container looks big yet it only holds 60 mL. I like the way it feels in my hand, it is unlike any other energy shot I have held. The matte label may have something to do with it. The bottle has another feature, which I prefer energy shot producers use - the large mouth opening.

I cracked open the cap and was greeted by a very unique aroma. It was a combination of sweet berries, candy and lemonade without any unpleasant scents. The taste was also unique. At first my tongue was hit by the sourness of the shot, and I love sour. Next came a touch of sweetness, which was followed by more sourness which reminded me of berry lemonade. The sourness really helps the finish and aftertaste which are a little dry, but very refreshing. Though there is no sugar in this shot, it does not taste like most of the sugar free shots. The sourness may have a lot to do with this. The only complaint that I have is that after the last gulp there was a brief bitterness in the finish. I say brief, because the sourness took care of it real quick. Another thing to note is how the aftertaste changes about 15 minutes after ingestion. I started to get the taste of Diet Coke with Lemon, which was unexpected, but not bad. I don't drink Diet Coke and I certainly did not have a regular Coke before I took the shot. Overall, this a great tasting energy shot which I enjoyed very much.

The shot contains 120 mg of caffeine, which is not too bad. I felt refreshed almost instantly from the berry-lemonade-like taste of the shot, but I started to feel energized within 10-15 minutes of taking the shot. The energy was clean and even felt focused on my tasks. It took about 30 minutes for me to feel the full effect of the shot, which lasted for 2 to 3 hours. I continued to feel awake for a lot longer, but I wasn't as energized as the first few hours after the iShot. I did not experience a crash or any other negative effect at the end.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Caffeine - 120 mg
  • Vitamin B2 - 0.3 mg
  • Vitamin B3 (Niacin) - 18 mg
  • Vitamin B5 - 6 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 4 mg
  • Vitamin B9 - 400 mcg
  • Vitamin B12 - 1 mcg
  • Taurine
  • Siberian Ginseng Infusion
  • Guarana
  • L-Carnitine
  • Green Tea Extract
  • Inositol
Non-Medicinal Ingredients: spring water, maltodextrin, citric acid, glucoronolactone, flavourings with quinine, sucralose, acesulfame k, potassium sorbate, allura red.

Scores:
Cost - not sold in Canada, but you can get it from the company website
Taste - 8.2/10
Energy - 8.1/10

Overall - 16.3/20...a pleasant and unique tasting energy shot, which works well, but is not sold in Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment