Saturday, August 21, 2010

Livewire Energy Chews Pomaberry Review


So today I trying something that has been sitting on my desk for weeks now...or was it months? Yes, Livewire Energy is an energy chew and this one is supposed to taste like pomaberry...whatever that is. Perhaps a combination of pomegranate and berries.

The chews come in a matchbox-like container with 8 chews with some decent graphics, a nice layout and enough information on the back.

Taste

The chews are fairly sticky and smell pretty awful like fake chocolate with a distant hint of grapes and cake icing. The chews are, well, very chewy and don't taste much like berries of pomegranate. The taste reminded me a lot of thick cake icing, which I am not a huge fan of. Sure, there are hints, but I was expecting a burst of flavour like Mamba or Starburst chews. The finish is a touch bitter and you can really taste the energy ingredients. This isn't the worst tasting energy chew, but it sure isn't the greatest one.

Energy

The energy blend is 120 mg and contains a few different ingredients, but how much is the caffeine portion? The official website states that each chew has as much caffeine as a label-free energy drink, which looks a lot like a Red Bull. I am going to say that there are 80 mg in each chew.

I started to experience some effects within 15 minutes and in another 5, I started to get jittery. In another 5, I was fully awake and very energetic. I was surprised how well this chew worked. The energy lasted for over an hour, a lot like drinking a can of Red Bull or equivalent. Though the label says that one chew provides energy for up to 3 hours, you have to keep in mind that I am quite used to caffeine.

Energy Blend (120 mg):
  • Caffeine
  • Taurine
  • Panax Ginseng
Ingredients: sugar, corn syrup, soy lecithin, palm oil, glycerine, malic acid, natural flavors, niacin, calcium d-pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, sucralose, fd&c red#40, thiamine hydrochloride, cyanocobalamin, fd&c blue #1

Scores:
Cost - $4 from the King of Caffeine
Taste - 5.8/10
Energy - 6/10 to 10/10

Overall - 11.8/20 to 15.8/20 depending on how many you eat

No comments:

Post a Comment