Thursday, February 17, 2011

Kombucha Wonder Drink Green Tea & Lemon Review


I usually drink one of two things early in the morning - an energy drink or a cup of tea. I do drink coffee, and a lot of it, but not until a couple of hours after I get up. So what better time to try something that claims to be a "wonder drink" that is also tea?

Taste

Though there were several flavours, I decided to go with the green tea. The drink is pale straw in color and pours with some carbonation. The aroma is extremely disguising, it smells like vinegar with a subtle lemon twist. I checked the date and it is good for another year. The can itself was not damaged in any way, so this must be the way the drink smells.

Once I got over the aroma, I took a sip. The taste is much better. It starts off with a pleasant lemon flavour that is just a bit sweet. It then transitions to an earthy flavour that is a little bitter with a lemon twist and a very subtle green tea note, which appears for a split second and then it is gone. The finish is a combination of the earthy and lemon flavours...and this is where the vinegar strikes again. Take a sip, wait for 1-2 seconds and enjoy that vinegar taste. The good news is that it doesn't last for too long, but you still have to endure it. But wait, there is more. If you wait another 15-20 seconds, you can taste the yeast. As I kept drinking, I kept discovering new and more disgusting notes in the finish. This was a horrible start of my day thanks to the vinegar and yeast.

Obviously, I did not enjoy drinking this. It was a struggle, but I did it anyways just to see what the effects would be. The last few sips were the worst since the flavours and the aftertaste were building up. At one point I wanted to throw up.

Energy

After having struggled through half the can, I noticed that I was a bit more awake and starting to gain focus. I don't know if it is a placebo effect or this actually works. It took about 10 minutes to start experiencing an improved state. This state kept improving with every sip I and it only took several minutes for the drink to kick in. But like many poorly caffeineated products, this state did not last for more than 30-40 minutes.

Overall, it was a nice experiment to try one of these health drinks I got from the health/vegan store, but the taste was absolutely horrendous. I will stick to my regular tea and energy drinks for now.

Ingredients: filtered water, organic brewed green tea, organic kombucha, organic cane juice, organic lemon extract, carbonation.

Oh, the kombucha is filtered water, organic cane juice, organic oolong tea, yeast and bacteria cultures. Enjoy

Scores:
Cost - $1.99 from the local health/vegan store
Taste - 1/10
Energy - 4/10

Overall - 5/20...worst tasting drink I have had for breakfast

No comments:

Post a Comment