Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Rock Hard Adrenaline RX Berry Blast Energy Shot Review


I found this odd looking energy shot in the health section of the local Shoppers Drug Mart for $2.99. This is not something I have heard of, or seen, before. In fact, the shot was not with all the other energy shots that are usually found in the health section, it was hidden among many protein bars and vitamin formulas.

Taste

Before I even opened the shot, my mind already knew how this shot would taste. It was wrong. I expected it to have an artificial berry scent, coupled with soapy notes, but what I got instead was a very pleasant sweet berry aroma with some sour raspberries popping out. The taste was also a surprise. Once again, I was expecting something horrendous, given the 220 mg of caffeine stuffed in this thing, but the taste is actually good to bearable. I say this because it starts off sweet with sour raspberries, but quickly turns bitter, laced with artificial sweeteners. The finish is sour with some sweeteners, but at least not much of the bitterness. The bitterness does, however, return in the aftertaste but fortunately does not linger for too long.

If you were to drink this shot in only two gulps, chances are you will not experience the bitterness as much until the finish. I tried taking a large gulp to finish the shot and what I got was a ton of sour raspberries, which acted very refreshing, and little bitterness once I downed it.

Overall, this is not a bad tasting energy shot, but it is definitely not the best tasting one. For 220 mg of caffeine, the taste is more than adequate.

Energy

As I mentioned, there are 220 mg of caffeine stuffed into this 60 mL shot. The energy works fairly quickly and within 10 minutes you will be awake with a shaky knee. Unlike many of the new energy shots, there is no calming period, just a rush of energy. I can see now why this was located in an aisle with workout products and supplements.

Give the shot another 5 minutes and you will want to get up and do pushups, run around in circles, or whatever else you like to do when you are over caffeinated.

But...Does it last for 8 hours? Not for me, but perhaps it will for those that do not consume a lot of caffeine. I experienced a very nice energy boost for about 3 to 4 hours without much of a crash at the end.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Vitamin B12 - 500 mcg
  • Vitamin B6 - 40 mg
  • Niacin - 20 mg
  • Folate - 400 mcg
  • Pantothenic Acid - 10 mg
  • N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine - 260 mg
  • Taurine - 355 mg
  • Glucuronolactone - 250 mg
  • Caffeine - 220 mg
Non-Medicinal Ingredients: purified water, malic acid, natural flavors (berry), sucrose, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate

Scores:
Cost - $2.99 from Shoppers Drug Mart
Taste - 5.5/10
Energy - 8.7/10

Overall - 14.2/20...great energy shot for working out

No comments:

Post a Comment