Monday, March 7, 2011

Uranium Energy Powder Yellowcake Flavour Review


Thanks to the well stocked ChemicalEvolution.com I was finally able to obtain some of Harcos Labs energy powders. I will start off my series of reviews with the Uranium powder, said to have a yellowcake flavor.

First off, the packaging is absolutely fantastic. The test tube is made of thick plastic which seems like it can withstand a nuclear explosion. It feels great holding the tube. It is also small enough and sturdy enough that you can toss it in your bag and take it out when you need some energy. The resealable cap is also a plus.

Taste

I am not a huge fan of pixie sticks and even as a kid I never liked eating Tang crystals, though they were sour and sweet. So this is a bit of challenge for two reasons - one, I already mentioned, and two, there is just so much of this in the tube. Good thing I don't say no to challenges.

When I first held the tube and looked at the package and what was inside, I was half expecting this to taste like lemon and thought that the yellowcake flavor was a joke given the real meaning of yellowcake. But the moment the yellow powder hit my tongue, I was shocked. This DID taste like cake. The flavor was so real, it felt like I was eating a piece of cake. Do you know that yellow part of regular cakes? The one there are several layers of and they are all covered in icing? Yes, that's what it tastes like, but with a bit more vanilla.

Of course being an energy powder, there is some caffeine bitterness which is mostly noticed in the finish. While battling with the lump of powder in your mouth, the artificial sweetener can be tasted. The sweetener is also present in the finish, but not as much as the bitterness from the caffeine is. The sweetener/caffeine blend does last for a while in the finish, but at least you also have some of the vanilla taste from the cake.

Overall, the flavor was a pleasant surprise, but the bitterness did have an impact on the overall enjoyment.

Energy

I like products that tell you how much caffeine is in them. I like products even more when they do so in big red letters. There are 90 mg of caffeine in this tube and that's a pretty decent amount given the size of the container. I ate/swallowed the powder in a few goes and waited for the effects. Didn't take long. Within 15 minutes I felt becoming calmer and focused on what I was doing. I felt even more awake than I already was, but all this didn't last for too long because I got the jitters. They weren't anything serious, but I felt a tremble in my leg and then the shake. Fortunately this lasted for a few minutes and then I was back to being focused...a little less than at first, but still felt focused on my work.

The energy lasted for about an hour, while the focus lasted for about 15-20 minutes. There was no crash at the end, just the lack of feeling awesome. Now, I cannot wait to try the other flavors that are sitting on my desk.

Ingredients: sugar, dextrose, caffeine, malic acid, artificial flavors & colors, FD&C yellow #5, #6, blue #1, red #3, #40.

Scores:
Cost - $1.99 from ChemicalEvolution.com
Taste - 8.5/10
Energy - 6.8/10

Overall - 15.3/20...surprising taste, decent energy, great packaging

No comments:

Post a Comment