Wednesday, May 18, 2011

FireFly Wake Up Review


It has been a long time since I have had a FireFly for one big reasons - availability. This drink is not available in most stores and I have only been able to find it at boutique grocery stores health places. Well, last weekend I came across a large batch of these at the local LobLaws and I picked up a few flavors I have not yet tried.

I am trying the Wake Up beverage, which contains a whole bunch of botanical extracts that are supposed to give you a natural energy boost. Some of the extracts do contain caffeine, but I expect it to be present in small quantities.

Taste

So how does the peach and green tea flavour taste like? Well, it tastes amazing. I normally take a few sips when I first open a drink to see how the taste sits, but with this one, I actually had to stop myself from down it all in one go. I managed to stop at the two-thirds mark, with about one-third left, sit back and reflect on what my throat just had the opportunity of swallowing. The taste is very earthy with a heavy tea presence dominated by the yerba mate. The light green tea flavour is present, but it serves as something that rounds off the mate, making it smoother and easier to consume. The peach is mostly present in the aroma, but does make appearances here and there while you are drinking. It does come back in the aftertaste as a not-too-sweet reminder of the awesomeness you just enjoyed. There are a few additional flavors that also come and go and ultimately aid in making the entire experience more enjoyable. Sweet apple and slightly tart grapes come at the start of each sip and return again in the aftertaste.

This is a fantastic drink that sits perfectly in the mouth, it is neither sweet, nor sour and is an absolute joy to drink. Too bad it retails for $3.49.

Energy

As I mentioned already, there are botanical extracts which are supposed to give you a more natural energy boost so an actual caffeine content is not given anywhere on the label. However, some of the ingredients, that are used in many energy drinks, do contain small amounts of caffeine.

The energy comes within 15-20 minutes, but is it by no means something that can be compared to an energy drink. The experience is comparable to taking a pleasant walk when you are feeling tired and are having troubles focusing. The drink acts as more of a brain cleanser than something that will make you jump up and down or make you talk twice as fast as you normally do.

Scores:
Cost - $3.49 from LobLaws
Taste - 9.8/10
Energy - 6/10

Overall - 15.8/20...would be much higher if I didn't evaluate it as an energy drink

No comments:

Post a Comment