Tuesday, July 12, 2011

FRS Orange Energy Drink Review


FRS is not something very popular in Canada. In fact this is the first time I have ever seen an FRS energy drink here, which is why it was important to buy all the flavours. I found them at the local Hasty Market and each retails for the standard $2.99 for a can.

Taste

To my surprise this energy drink has the same color, look and consistency of real orange juice and is not like all other orange energy drinks. Unfortunately the similarity stops there. The liquid has a very dry mouthfeel and is comparable, in terms of taste, to a generic orange juice concentrate with some earthy tones from the energy ingredients. There is also a touch of roasted coffee, but only appears for brief moments before the orange flavour overpowers it. Soon after come the earthy notes which last well into the aftertaste.

The aftertaste is a nice combination of orange, earthy tea notes, apples and a touch of tart berries. The apples and berries do not appear until the aftertaste as the actual orange flavour is quite strong.

Overall, I wasn't very happy with the drink at first, but after a few sips I really got into it and drank the entire can relatively quickly. The dry mouthfeel did make me go to the sink and rinse my mouth with some water to hydrate it.

Energy

There are 48 mg of caffeine in the can and though that is not a lot, the drink work very well. I was very tired from staying up all night drinking (wasn't hungover) and only had 4-5 hours of sleep, but within 5 minutes of having a few large gulps, I felt awake and was able to easily focus on mental tasks I was performing.

More than half way through the can, I was feeling well energized and even a bit jittery. By the end of the can, I felt great and I honestly was not expecting to feel so. The boost lasted for a long time, much longer than I anticipated and there was no funny business at the end. Overall, quite impressed with this product.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99
Taste - 8/10
Energy - 7.9/10

Overall - 15.9/20...don't be fooled by the 48 mg of caffeine, this energy drink is pretty damn good

No comments:

Post a Comment