Thursday, February 16, 2012

Spike Original Hardcore All-Day Energy Shot Review


Here is the second of the two Spike Double Shots I picked up from a 7-11 in Detroit. I should have tried and reviewed them in the reverse order since this is the Original flavour and the one I already had was the orange one.

Taste


The shot has a very strong, slightly tangy, berry/cherry/cough syrup-like scent. For a second it even reminded me of a fruity pre-mixed alcoholic drink. The taste is actually a lot mellower and less tart than the aroma...at least at the start. The berry flavour is very well done without any bitterness or any other odd twists. However, I couldn't really tell what kind of berries I was supposed to taste at the start.

There is quite a bit of sweetness at the start, but that is balanced out by some of the sourness you get towards the finish. The finish, itself, has a bit more taste and reveals some additional flavours such as strawberries and cherries, as well as some artificial sweetener notes.

Depending on the number of sips you take, the sourness will build up. I consumed the first half in multiple sips so that I can taste the shot. The second half was consumed in 2 gulps without a pause.

Overall, this shot is pretty damn tasty.

Energy

Like the Orange Spike, there are 350 mg of caffeine per bottle, or 175 mg if you consume only half the shot. The effects come in quickly and unlike many other energy shots, you will not experience any jitters if you follow the instructions, i.e. consume half the shot. The second half will definitely have you dancing around your house shaking every part of your body.

Once the shot started to kick in, I experienced a very enjoyable 25 minutes during which time I was mentally  focused (having consumed only half the bottle at this time). After the 25 minutes came in the real kick and I was ready to go. I had lost some of my focus, but at least I was wide awake.

The energy lasted for about 3 hours and there was no crash at the end...also I had another half of bottle left to pep myself up.

Scores:
Cost - $2.69 from 7-11
Taste - 9/10
Energy - 8/10 to 10/10

Overall - 17/20 to 19/20...depending on how much of the shot you consume

No comments:

Post a Comment