Sunday, February 22, 2015

Rockstar Sparkling Energy Drink Cherry Citrus Review


This is the second of the Rockstar Sparkling flavors that made it north across the border to Canada. I picked up a can from the local Shoppers Drug Mart for $3.99...yikes! These energy drinks are getting more and more expensive in Canada.

Taste

This Rockstar Sparkling flavor has a very interesting and bang-on aroma - cherry and citrus. Yeah, I know. It is what the label says, but in most cases one is more dominant than the other. However, it is not the case with this one. Both aromas are equally strong and there are no extra notes.

The flavor doesn't come in until after the bubbles have popped. As I mentioned in another review, the Rockstar Sparkling line up is extremely carbonated and not much flavor exists at the start. Once the bubbles pop, you have a cherry forward palate and a long lasting creamy citrus finish. As part of the finish, you also get the standard sweetener trace notes.

I like the creamy finish which gives this drink a unique character, and I think I prefer it over the Sparkling Peach I had last week.

Energy

Like the other Rockstar Sparkling, there are 160 mg of caffeine in the can and the effects are a bit slow at the start due to the lack of sugar. It took about 15 minutes for me to start feeling the effects of this drink. After only a few hours of sleep, I woke up a bit tired, but the initial effects of the drink woke me up and I felt pretty good. In another 10 minutes I was starting to feel a bit jittery and 10 minutes after that I felt very energized and just a tiny bit jittery.

The effects lasted for about 3 hours and finished without a crash. 

Scores:
Cost - $3.99 
Taste - 7.2/10
Energy - 7/10

Overall - 14.2/20...a unique creamy finish, decent, but slow kick

No comments:

Post a Comment