Thursday, March 19, 2015

Red Bull The Orange Edition Review


The Orange Edition Red Bull comes to us thanks to a synchronized release across the US and Canadian markets and I am very glad to see this. Normally I get super jealous when I see our neighbors to the south get new energy drinks, which happens on a weekly basis, and then I get super disappointed when I find out that none of these energy drinks will make it to Canada due to our strict regulations. So yeah, I am very happy to see The Orange Edition available at 7-11 the day after I read a review from its release down south.

Taste

This Red Bull has a very pleasant orange/tangerine aroma, though it is heavier on the sweet tangerine flavors than the orange. I thought that the taste was bland at first due to the high level of carbonation but once it died down a bit, I started to taste the sweet tangerine flavors. Towards the finish I also got a whiff of the orange, but what I found strange was the overall lack of bite. Normally orange has a bit of an acidic bite, but it was nowhere to be found in this Orange Edition. The sweet tangerines were a nice touch, but I was expecting the bite and I was a little disappointed.

I should also note that the aftertaste has a sweetener-like note to it. Yes, you get some lingering sweet tangerine notes, but more prominent is the sweetener. I don't remember ever tasting something like this from a Red Bull before so I was a little surprised. To be honest, I prefer the original flavor.

Energy

As expected, there are 80 mg of caffeine in the 250 mL can. Maybe that's how the release was simultaneous across US and Canadian markets - all other Red Bulls already sold here have the same active ingredients and concentrations.

The effects are as any other Red Bull - chug it and you get a bit of jitters at first and a wave of rough energy that lasts for about 1.5-2 hours, followed by a mild crash. If you drink it slow, the jitters are less intense, but the overall effects are very similar.

Scores:
Cost - promotion - 2 for $4 at Canadian Tire gas stations
Taste - 7.2/10
Energy - 6/10

Overall - 13.2/20...interesting new flavor, but I prefer the original

No comments:

Post a Comment