Sunday, March 29, 2015

Rockstar Lime Freeze Review


This drink is not yet available in Canada. I got the can for $2.75 from a Target in New York state on my most recent trip south of the border. In fact, I got over 20 new energy drinks from New York state. A trip, which took me around 5 hours to get there and come back. That's like trying to drive from downtown Toronto to Yorkdale mall on the weekend.

Taste

When I got the can, I was half expecting the drink to taste like a margarita without the tequila. However, upon opening the can, I was greeted by a subtle lime/green apple aroma.

The taste starts off heavy on the sour lime, but quickly transitions to a more of a sweet lime. This part reminded me a little of Mountain Dew Kickstart Limeade. Beneath all the lime I am pretty sure lurks some mint-like flavor because after each sip I felt like I had just chewed on a piece of mild spearmint gum and took a sip of a limeade. In addition to the mint and lime aftertaste, I also got a hint of green apple and since this is not a sugar free Rockstar, there are no trace sweetener notes. Just good ol' sugar sweetness.

Even though there are over 60 grams of sugar in the can, there is no sweetness build up thanks to the sour lime flavor and the refreshing mint. However, be aware that this is a pretty sour drink. And yes, VERY refreshing!

Energy

There are 160 mg of caffeine in this can of Rockstar, which was a little disappointing at first since last time I got cans of Rockstar in the US, there was 240 mg in each. Not sure if Rockstar is changing formulations or there are different state regulations regarding caffeine content in drinks.

Anyways, the effects of this energy drink are the same as any of the other sugar-full Rockstar energy drinks. Gulp 1/3 of the can and you get a sugar rush and jitters within 10 minutes. Gulp the rest of the can and you start to feel the uncontrollable energy rush making you want to run around in circles. Give it another 30-40 minutes and you feel a little better, yet still energized. The rush lasts about 2.5-3 hours and disappears without a crash if you had the energy drink first thing in the morning, or with a crash if you had the drink later on in the day and your body is running low on energy.

Overall, I found this Rockstar to be veeeery refreshing and worked very well for the first drink of the day. 

Scores:
Cost - $2.75 from Target in NY state
Taste - 8/10
Energy - 7/10

Overall - 15/20...refreshing and very sour

1 comment: