Saturday, February 27, 2010

Rockstar Energy Cola Review


Finally, new energy drinks in the province of Ontario. I walked in a 7-11 to get some wake-me-up drinks and I walked out with two new Rockstar energy drinks. Today I am trying the Energy Cola, which comes in the best can I have ever seen. I like how the designers have dropped the horrible Rockstar background and went with a solid black color. In addition, the can is matte, which propels the can design light years ahead of everyone else's. Look at the top, it completes the whole package.


Great job, this design is sure to increase the sales. The drink costs the standard $2.99 CAD.

Well, it's a Cola. It smells like a cola and definitely tastes like one...or does it? There is a bit of a bitter taste from the energy ingredients, but the sweet finish takes care of it. The taste itself is smooth and does not have a bite. There are no fancy ingredients to give it spice or a twist like in the Red Bull Cola. The aftertaste is not as crisp as the one you get from drinking Coca-Cola, it is similar to the one you get from drinking Pepsi. The sweetness in the aftertaste builds up over time but it is not as bad as with other energy drinks. Overall, this is a pretty good energy cola. In fact, I would say it is just a touch better than Jolt's Power Cola.

In the caffeine department, the Rockstar Energy Cola contains the standard 160 mg of caffeine plus whatever else is in the guarana extract. After a night of drinking...moderate of course, this woke me up nicely and I did not experience jitters. For a while I was even focused on what I was doing which was something I have never experienced from drinking energy drinks, just energy shots. Unlike the focus I get from some energy shots, this one did not last a very long time - only around 10 to 15 minutes. After that I was fully awake and ready to tackle the rest of the day. Sadly the energy high did not last a long time - only around 2 hours.

One other thing I like about this can design is how easy the text reads. It is light gray on a matte black background. There is no glare and I don't have to strain my eyes to read the ingredients.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Taurine - 2,000 mg
  • Gingko Biloba (4:1 leaf extract, QCE 1,200 mg) - 300 mg
  • Caffeine - 160 mg
  • Guarana - 50 mg
  • Inositol - 50 mg
  • Panax Ginseng - 50 mg
  • Silybum Marianum - 40 mg
  • Niacinamide - 20 mg
  • Pantothenic Acid - 20 mg
  • Riboflavin - 6.8 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 4 mg
  • Vitamin B12 - 12 mcg
Non-medicinal Ingredients: carbonated water, sugar, dextrose, caramel color, natural cola flavour, phosphoric acid, citric acid, kola nut extract.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99 CAD for a 473 mL can
Taste - 8.5/10
Energy - 7.5/10

Overall - 16.1/20...fantastic new Rockstar energy drink. I absolutely love the can design so I am giving it an extra 0.1. The energy blend is not too bad either

2 comments:

  1. Alright! I was really intrigued with your whole energy drink review website! I must say- it's 2016 and I still wake up with cravings for this energy cola. I scrolled for an hour to see if you had a review for this!
    Friend, keep up the reviews. I'll be watching to see what new items you try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright! I was really intrigued with your whole energy drink review website! I must say- it's 2016 and I still wake up with cravings for this energy cola. I scrolled for an hour to see if you had a review for this!
    Friend, keep up the reviews. I'll be watching to see what new items you try.

    ReplyDelete