Monday, May 24, 2010

HyDrive Energy Strength Formula Review


I said that the Vitamin Formula tasted a lot like an orange Gatorade, so I am half expecting this to taste like a blue Gatorade, which is my other favorite Gatorade flavour. It almost does, actually. The aroma carries the typical blue energy drink scent, but the the taste is not quite there...well, not at first. It starts off light and watery, a surprise since the previous 3 HyDrive formulas that I had did not exhibit this characteristic. Shortly after the start, the flavour kicks in and the drink starts turning into something resembling a blue Gatorade. There is a hint of sourness and the typical blue raspberry taste, which is executed quite well. The finish is sour and flavour-rich. I wonder why it starts so watery when the rest of the taste is pretty good. The more I kept drinking, the better the taste became. The sourness and the flavour started to build up, which made the immediate aftertaste very refreshing and pleasant. This is the first HyDrive energy drink to show signs of the use of an artificial sweetener in the aftertaste. A few minutes after each sip, a diet aftertaste emerges, but is quickly subdued by the lingering sour taste of the blue raspberry flavour. I enjoyed this formula, but it had a rough start, which the others did not.

Unlike the blue Gatorade, this packs 145 mg of caffeine and a list of other medicinal ingredients. Just like HyDrive every formula, this has the same basic list of medicinal ingredients, but adds a few other unique ones. The Strength Formula has L-Leucine, D-Robose, Maca Root Extract and Ginkgo Biloba. The energy that I got from this formula was about the same as the previous ones. I felt waking up and starting to focus on what I was doing about 30 minutes after starting to drink the beverage. I felt calm for a few minutes, but then the caffeine kicked in and I was ready to do laps. Like the other HyDrive drinks, this did not give me any jitters even when the caffeine kicked in, I was just very energized. The energy boost lasted for a good 3 hours and I did not experience a crash at the end.

I am not sure how cheap Gatorade is in the US, but if I lived there, I would definitely buy HyDrive instead. Both the Strength Formula and the Vitamin Formula taste a lot like blue and orange Gatorade, but pack 145 mg of caffeine and other ingredients which provide plenty of energy. I don't buy other Gatorade flavours, so I wouldn't know if the rest of the HyDrive formulas tasted like Gatorade.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Niacin - 20 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 2 mg
  • Vitamin B12 - 6 mcg
  • Pantothenic Acid - 10 mg
  • Caffeine - 145 mg
  • Taurine - 50 mg
  • L-Carnitine - 25 mg
  • D-Robose - 5 mg
  • Maca Root Extract - 5 mg
  • Ginkgo Biloba - 5 mg
Non-Medicinal Ingredients: purified water, sucrose, citric acid, sodium citrate, sodium benzate, potassium sorbate, gum arabic, monopotassium phosphate, natural flavour, sucralose, calcium pantothenate, magnesium chloride hexahydrate, glycerol ester of wood rosin, blue #1.

Scores:
Cost - not sold in Canada
Taste - 8.8/10
Energy - 7.9/10

Overall - 16.7/20...taste a lot like blue Gatorade, but has a pretty decent energy kick

Read the other HyDrive reviews:

No comments:

Post a Comment