Sunday, May 30, 2010

Hype Energy Organic Energy Drink Review


Late last night I went to the local 24-hour grocery store to get some hot sauce and when I was there I decided to cruise down the drinks aisle. It paid off, I found something new - Hype Organic Energy drink. There were two kinds of cans - the 250 mL one and the X2, the 473 mL one. At first I reached for the smaller one, but I put it back down realizing that there is an opportunity for me to consume almost twice as much caffeine not just a dollar more. Being a 24-hour supermarket, the prices are a little higher so I ended up paying $3.49 for the can. I am sure I can find this drink for $2.99 at a gas station of a convenience store.

Hmm, when I opened the can, I was greeted by an odd combination of Monster's original aroma, bubblegum and a little bit of cough syrup. The taste was similarly unique yet not too bad. I was hit by the all too familiar taste of Monster mixed with Hype's original flavour which nicely displaced it with its citric bite. Then came the biggest surprise - the finish and aftertaste - both of which were a battle of the flavours. There was bubblegum, apple, Monster and Hype, alternating and not giving up. The taste of apples and regular Hype give, both the finish and aftertaste, a crisp, sour bite which is something I absolutely love. The bubblegum and regular Monster give the finish and aftertaste a very sweet taste, which I think the drink could have been without. These two flavours are also responsible for the build up in the sweetness level, which is most noticeable in the aftertaste as the sourness of the first two flavours manages to subdue it. The drink tasted like nothing I had expected, but it wasn't too bad. I prefer the taste of the original Hype and Hype MFP.

I was expecting to find something like 150 mg of caffeine, but what I found instead were 94 mg of natural caffeine. I am not complaining...OK, I am...but 94 mg is not very much for a drink this size. In hindsight, I should have checked out both cans to see how much the little one had. I assume it had a little more than half of this. The drink still works and I began to experience the initial effects around the 20 minute mark, though my mind was still hazy from waking up. It took a full hour before I was finally energized and my mind was fully awake and clear. I did not experience any jitters, not even from the initial sugar jolt. The energy boost lasted for under 2 hours and I did experience a slight crash at the end. This isn't the best performing energy drink out there, but if want to buy organic products, go right ahead with this one.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Organic Guarana Seed Extract - 189 mg
  • Natural Caffeine - 94 mg
  • Vitamin C - 42.6 mg
  • Vitamin B3 - 12.78 mg
  • Vitamin B5 - 4.26 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 1.42 mg
  • Vitamin B12 - 9.46 mcg
Non-Medicinal Ingredients: carbonated water, organic cane juice concentrate, natural flavours, organic apple juice, organic aloe vera juice, citric acid, calcium citrate, organic tea extract.

Scores:
Cost - $3.49 CAD for a 473 mL can
Taste - 7.7/10
Energy - 6.5/10

Overall - 14.2/20...it has a unique taste, but I think the use of ingredients resembling Monster could have been turned just a notch down

3 comments:

  1. Hey there, great review I am a team member of Hype Energy South we a new distributor in the USA that distributes in the Southern region of the US. We are in the process of getting our shit together online and was wondering if you could help by adding us on facebook and spreading the word. Your support would be very appreciated and that way you'll always know about our events and promos..

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get more information at http://hype.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I know hype 250 ml & 60 ml can's weight

    ReplyDelete