Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hype Energy Drink Review


Good thing I picked up some caffeinated products last night because I am absolutely exhausted from staying up watching movies. I got lucky and came across (finally) the original Hype energy drink. When I first saw it, I thought it was a sugar free version because generally drink manufacturers use silver cans to denote the diet products. At the convenience store where I bought this, all Hype products were on sale. This can cost me $1.99 CAD, which is about 50 cents less than a regularly priced Red Bull at 7-11, or gas stations.

Well, I am too surprised to find out that the regular Hype smells and tastes almost like Red Bull. The smells is sweeter than Red Bull, and the taste is crisp, a lot like Red Rain. Half way through the can, the drink starts to resemble Red Rain in terms of acidity as well. I like Red Rain so I like this as well. The crisp, citric taste give it a very refreshing and clean feeling, but not much else can be said.

This is a 250 mL energy drink so the caffeine amount if pretty standard - 80 mg. It started to wake me up around 15-20 minutes after I began drinking it and after 30 minutes, I was fully awake. I experienced some jitters for a few minutes, but it was smooth sailing after. Similarly to the effects of Red Bull, Red Rain and Red Rave, the effects of this energy drink lasted for just over an hour, but there was no crash.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Taurine - 1,000 mg
  • Caffeine - 80 mg
  • Vitamin C- 16.5 mg
  • Niacin - 4.9 mg
  • Pantothenic acid - 2.75 mg
  • Vitamin E - 2.75 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 0.52 mg
  • Vitamin B2 - 0.51 mg
  • Vitamin B1 - 0.33 mg
  • Vitamin B12 - 0.32 mcg
  • Folate - 0.11 mcg
  • Biotin - 0.42 mcg
Non-medicinal Ingredients: carbonated water, sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, natural flavour, sodium citrate

Scores:
Cost - $1.99 for a 250 mL can
Taste - 8.3/10
Energy - 6/10

Overall - 14.3/20...tastes almost like a lot of other Red Bull clones, only crisper

No comments:

Post a Comment