Thursday, March 11, 2010

NOS Energy Shot X Review


I believe this is called NOS Powershot in the US, but here in Canada, it goes by NOS Energy Shot X. Since I am running out of new products in the area, I am forced to review things that have been out for some time now. I bought the shot at a Shell gas station for the high price of $3.09 CAD when it should have been $2.99 like everywhere else. Gas stations are expensive, yeah, I know.

The shot smells like a combination of cheap cola, a citrus drink and coffee. The taste is slightly similar to that of Red Bull with the exception of the bitter undertone and finish. There is some sourness in the shot, which helps a bit, but does not give the shot an incredible taste. If you were to drink the shot in a few sips, the taste will improve as the sourness will attack the tongue and numb it a little, which subsides the bitterness. The sour taste also helps with the aftertaste, which is on the fresh side and not as bad as in the beginning. I can't say I enjoyed the shot that much, but at least it is not the worst thing I have had.

I honestly was expecting a lot of caffeine knowing NOS energy drinks, but the shot has only 125 mg of caffeine. OK, 125 mg is not that bad and it did wake me up in the morning, but I wanted more. It took about 15 minutes for me to start experiencing the initial effects, but the shot did not kick in fully for another 15 minutes. It provided a calm and focused period that lasted for a total of 30 minutes, after which I was just energized and I did not experience any jitters before or after this. Overall the energy boost lasted for about a couple of hours and I didn't have a crash. Not too bad, but nothing exceptional.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Caffeine - 125 mg
  • Inositol - 25 mg
  • Taurine - 25 mg
  • Green tea extract - 28 mg, standardized to 20 mg
  • Vitmain B3 - 20 mg
  • Vitamin E - 13.5 mg
  • Pantothenic acid - 10 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 2 mg
  • Riboflavin - 1.7 mg
  • Vitamin B12 - 6 mcg
Non-medicinal Ingredients: filtered water, sugar/glucose-fructose, citric acid, modified corn starch, sodium phosphate, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, sucralose, color, natural flavour, calcium disodium EDTA.

Scores:
Cost - $3.09 CAD for a 60 mL shot, but most places sell it for $2.99 CAD
Taste - 4.8/10
Energy - 6.9/10

Overall - 11.7/20...stick to the NOS energy drink

No comments:

Post a Comment