Sunday, May 2, 2010

Starbucks Doubleshot Espresso and Cream Review


I know that this is an old one, but I just never felt like spending $3.29 on such a small can...at least until I realized that I sometimes spend more than $3 on energy shots, which are much smaller than 192 mL. Yes, I am a bit slow.

Espresso and Cream...hmmm...to be honest I like my espressos double, short and straight and have never actually tried one with cream. After this I think I should for comparison. The drink has the typical iced coffee aroma but with a stronger coffee scent. The taste is about the same and is really good. Unlike other iced coffees, you can actually taste the coffee in this one. Its flavour is strong, overpowering and leaves a bitter finish, which is something I enjoy very much. The cream can be felt rather than tasted. It makes drinking this beverage easy on the tongue because one you finish it, your tongue is left with a very dry and rough feeling. The milk taste is also noticeable at the end right before the coffee drowns it. This is my new favorite iced coffee drink and I regret not having tried it earlier.

The caffeine content is not listed on the can, but don't worry, there is always the Pepsi Product Page which we can refer to. It says that an 8 oz Doubleshot Coffee Drink contains 160 mg of caffeine, but wait! This is a 6.5 oz drink so applying some basic calculations we find out that the drink contains 130 mg of caffeine, which is not too bad for a can this size. There must be something wrong with the drink or perhaps with me, because all I felt after 30 minutes after drinking this is a slight buzz and a bit of jitters. My brain was still asleep, but my body had some energy. I say some, because I was still feeling very lazy and didn't feel like running around in circles. This is not how espressos affect me and I had no way of fixing the situation by having a real espresso since I threw out my moka a few months ago. Aw damn, too bad for the great taste.

Ingredients: brewed espresso coffee (coffee, water), concentrated partly skimmed milk, sugar, cream, caramel color, ascorbic acid.

Scores:
Cost - $3.29 for a 192 mL can
Taste - 8.5/10
Energy - 5/10

Overall - 13.5/20...great tasting iced coffee with a very coffee-like bitter finish, but weak on the energy delivery

1 comment:

  1. The double shots are a great stout drink. You should be able to buy a 4 pack for 6 some times less on sale

    ReplyDelete