Friday, April 30, 2010

Want Energy Lemonade Drink Review


I found another of the 4 Want Energy flavours at the most unusual place - a smoking paraphernalia store. Not that I go to it, but this was the only location in my city that had the drink according to the Want Energy website. Not only was I surprised by the type of store, I was also surprised by the low price of $1.99. I paid $2.99 for the original flavour in Toronto.

I love that label and I love the contrast between the name and the background. I also love the bottle - tall and slim. The energy drink has an aroma similar to that of Rockstar Recovery, but its taste is not quite the same. It is slightly carbonated and sweeter. The taste is not the best and feels quite artificial. It does not have the citric bite I was expecting, instead it has a very dull and sweet finish. The aftertaste is sweet and lemony and lingers for some time. I expected this to taste better than the original berry flavour, but it just didn't. I think the taste would be improved significantly if the makers added some citric acid for that sour kick.

Like the original Want Energy, the lemonade one contains 100 mg of caffeine, which I say again, are not enough for the crowd they are trying to sell this drink to. The caffeine amount is still enough to give you a decent kick, but not enough to make you jump on a bike and ride down a trail...at least for me it is not enough. Strangely, when I finished the lemonade, I experienced the same effects as with the original flavour. I felt relaxed, calm and very focused on what I was doing. I experienced no jitters nor, as I said, a high level of energy. I do enjoy this type of energy because it lets me focus on reading and writing rather than the need to do some physical activities. The calm and focused experience, as well as the slightly elevated level of energy lasted for over an hour.

Ingredients: pure water (reverse osmosis), glucose-fructose, malic acid, fumaric acid, natural lemon flavour, pectin, caffeine, sodium citrate, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, colour FD&C yellow #????? (it does not have a number).

Scores:
Cost - $1.99 CAD for a 330 mL bottle
Taste - 7/10
Energy - 7/10

Overall - 14/20...not as refreshing as some lemonades, but has a very calming and focused effect

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your review. Will definitely try this one out.

    ReplyDelete