Friday, July 23, 2010

Zipfizz Energy Drink Mix Berry Review


I got this product from the King of Caffeine for $2. Why is it $2 you ask? Well, it comes in a plastic tube, which means you can use only whatever you need and then seal the rest. Also you can dissolve this in 20 oz of water, which makes a large drink.

I love the tube, it is so convenient if you just want to use a little. The plastic is very hard so you can just toss it at the bottom of a bag and take it with you. The moment I dumped the powder into a glass of water, I realized why this is called zipfizz...because it fizzed violently like an effervescent tablet. A thick head rose up and started to overfill the glass and come out of it. Luckily I had a spoon nearby so I scooped a lot of the foam. The resulting mixture is plum red in color and a little cloudy. It has a tangy berry scent with a weird, medicine-like undertone. The taste is pretty good though, except for the fact that I dissolved the powder into 14 oz of water and not the suggested 16-20 since I just didn't feel like drinking so much liquid. Now back to the taste. It is OK, but a slight plastic tone can be noticed both in the taste and aftertaste. The tone lingers for some time, but the tanginess of the drink really helps drawing attention away from the unpleasantness. The berries can be tasted and it is a mix of raspberries and cranberries with a perhaps a touch of cherries. Overall, this is one of the better powdered energy mixes that I have tried.

This container has one of those "Proprietary blends" and only lists the individual ingredients, not how much of each there is. After a quick look at their website, it looks like there are 100 mg of caffeine from natural sources. I started to wake up and feel refreshed within 15 minutes, which was a good sign. In another 10 minutes my mind started to race and I got really excited. Unfortunately, this lasted for a couple of minutes, and then I was back to just feeling refreshed. The refreshed feeling lasted for a few hours and then I experienced a mild crash. It may have been from the heat and the fact that I was driving most of the morning, but I felt really tired and had to stop for some coffee.

Ingredients: citric acid, glucose polymers, potassium carbonate, malic acid, calcium ascorbate, natural flavours, magnesium glycinate, potassium bicarbonate, sodium bicarbonate, beet color, guarana see extract, grape skin extract, L-arginine, taurine, potassium citrate, sucralose, silica, niacin, zinc amino acid chelate, grape seed extract, manganese gluconate, d-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, green tea leaf extract, alpha-lipoic acid, pyridoxal-5-phosphate, D-calcium pantothenate, American ginseng root extract, ginger root, xylitol, riboflavin-5-phosphate, thiamin hydrochloride, cyanocobalamin, chromium dinicotinate glycinate, folic acid, and selenium-L-methionine complex.

Wow, I don't think I have seen more ingredients in an energy mix before...or any other energy drink.

Scores:
Cost -
Taste - 8/10
Energy - 7.2/10

Overall - 15.2/20...tastes pretty good, comes in a convenient package and packs a decent kick

No comments:

Post a Comment