Thursday, October 21, 2010

Starbucks Via Flavored Coffee Cinnamon Spice Review


As it gets colder, I start reaching for warmer things to get my morning started. Every once in a while I grab an energy drink, but tea and coffee are becoming dominant. I recently picked up some of Starbucks Via Flavored Coffees, but didn't think to do a review on them until now. I was sitting in the kitchen, looking and the box and thinking "Why haven't I reviewed this yet?" Well here is the first Starbucks Via review - Cinnamon Spice.

Taste

The packets suggest you dissolve each in 240 mL of hot water, which is exactly what I did. As expected, the aroma is spicy with hints of cinnamon and coffee. The taste is pretty decent as there are no weird or unpleasant tones, just coffee with some cinnamon notes. The instant coffee is pre-sweetened so I did not add any sugar to mine. One thing I did was add some cream, which kicked it up a notch. Overall, this is a very nice instant coffee, better than some of the other ones I have tried.

Energy

Well, there is no caffeine content on the box or the packets, but this is a flavored coffee so there is enough caffeine in it. I felt awake within 15 minutes of starting to drink it and in another 30 I was feeling great. The caffeine delivery is pretty standard for a coffee and if you don't add any sugar, you will probably not experience any jitters. Don't expect anything comparable to energy drinks though...or to a strong coffee. The energy lasts for a couple of hours and there is a bit of a crash at the end, but don't worry, just get another Via packet and dissolve it in some more hot water.

Scores:
Cost - $6.95 for a box of 6
Taste - 7.8/10
Energy - 7/10

Overall - 14.8/20...an excellent instant coffee for the cost of less than an energy drink (for each packet)

No comments:

Post a Comment