Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Caffeine Energy Drink Review


Late last night I got a phone call from FedEx telling me there is a package for me from Caffeine Lifestyle at their local warehouse. I thought this phone call was very odd, but the reason for it was to ask me if I was home during the day when they will attempt to deliver. If I wasn't home, they said they can keep the package in the warehouse so that I can pick it up whenever I wanted to. I said yes to the second option and ran to the car so I can get my package and have a drink in the morning.

Taste

The taste was a bit of a surprise at first. With a can design this aggressive, I was expecting something a little different. What I got was a very pleasant, mellow citrus start morphing into a clearly distinguishable mixture of lemon/lime flavours. A subtle melon taste started to appear towards the end and the whole thing finished on a candy-like cherry note. The finish itself is fresh though surprisingly dry. The drink has as much sugar as a can of Coke but for some reason it does not taste that sweet. The sweetness never built up for me, which is something I really liked and enjoyed the energy drink to the very end. Another thing I should point out is the mild carbonation, which makes the beverage flow smoothly and a whole can can be easily downed in a few gulps.

Energy

With a name like Caffeine, you know what you should be expecting. Though the caffeine content is not given anywhere on the can, a short research on the internets revealed that there are 140 mg in a can. This is not that much, but then again the can is only 12 fl oz or 355 mL. The drink starts to work within 15 minutes and when it did, I got a rush, probably from the sugar. I experienced some mild jitters, but nothing I haven't seen before. The jitters lasted for about 10-15 minutes and after that it was smooth sailing when the caffeine started to kick in. The energy kick lasted for a few hours and there was no crash at the end...at least at first. About an hour after the caffeine effects wore off, I started to feel rather drowsy, but that was nothing a strong cup of tea couldn't fix. Overall the energy drink is pretty solid in terms of performance, but a sugar content this high will show its negative effects no matter what else is in the drink.

Medicinal Ingredients:
  • Vitamin C - 60 mg
  • Niacin - 6 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 2 mg
  • Vitamin B12 - 6 mcg
  • Biotin - 90 mcg
  • Pantothenic Acid - 3 mg
Ingredients: water, sugar, dextrose, citric acid, natural flavour, caffeine, ascorbic acid, d-calcium pantothenate, niacinamide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, yellow #5, d-biotin, blue #1, cyanocobalamin

Scores:
Cost - not sure
Taste - 8.3/10
Energy - 8/10

Overall - 16.3/20...great, not too sweet taste, excellent energy kick, but the sugar content brings you down at the end

No comments:

Post a Comment