Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Shock-A-Lots Coffee Bean Candy Review


I kept referring to this as Shock-A-Lates because I thought it was something chocolatey. Oh yeah, I was wrong, but now I know.

Taste

Unlike all the other coffee bean candy I have tried, these look more like M&M's than anything else. They are small, round and yellow. Underneath the yellow coating is chocolate and underneath the chocolate is a coffee bean. If you are just popping those in your mouth without looking inside, you will never know there is a coffee bean. It is very soft and very easy to chew. The overall taste is actually pretty good and addicting. At first I thought I would never go through the entire bag, but after eating a few, I wanted to keep going. The chocolate is milky, the coffee flavor is great and on top of everything, there is a bit of a rum and vanilla taste. On the negative side, the sweetness does tend to build up so halfway through the bag you will want to drink something.

I recommend these to people who find chocolate covered coffee beans to be either too hard for their teeth, or too bitter.

Energy

The label says that 1 bag is equal to a cup of coffee, which means that there are between 80 to 100 mg of caffeine in the bag. I started to wake up after I ate 6-7 and stopped to go do something. By the end of the bag I was feeling pretty good, a lot like I just had a can of Red Bull but with none of the jitters. Unlike the can of Red Bull the kick last just a bit longer and there wasn't a crash at the end.

Scores:
Cost - $1.99 from ChemicalEvolution.com
Taste - 8.5/10
Energy - 6.8/10

Overall - 15.3/20...great tasting chocolate covered beans with a rummy twist

No comments:

Post a Comment