Monday, May 2, 2011

Lucozade Energy Drink Review


I have seen this many times online but have never had the chance to try one until today. I was at a T&T supermarket last night when I came across a bunch of Lucozade bottles for $1.99 each. I picked up all three flavors I found and am starting off with the Original to set a baseline.

Taste

Hmm, an energy drink made by a pharmaceutical company. Interesting. Upon unscrewing the cap I was greeted by an aroma that is a combination of a cheap orange drink, vitamins and something sour which reminds me of medicine. The taste is similar with a mild orange-tangerine-like flavour, a lot of carbonation and, to my surprise, very little sweetness. After a few large gulps, I started to notice a hint of pears which added a nice twist. The finish is very dry with a nice citric acid kick which cleanses your palette. But what does it cleanse it of? There is very little flavor and each time something close to orange touches your taste buds, the carbonation kills it.

The dryness of this drink really took me by surprise, but I think that those that don't like sugary drinks may find this enjoyable.

Energy

Caffeine is one of the primary ingredients of this energy drink, but nowhere on the label does it say how much of is present. A quick search online reveals that there are between 40 and 50 mg of caffeine, which for an energy drink of this size, is on the lower end.

The kick comes in with a bit of a delay since there is less sugar than comparable non-diet energy drinks, but it can be felt. I experienced a very brief, unexpected jittery moment, which was followed by a nice hour-long caffeine bump.

Scores:
Cost - $1.99 from T&T
Taste - 7/10
Energy - 5.8/10

Overall - 12.8/20...not bad, but not great

No comments:

Post a Comment