Monday, April 15, 2013

Guayaki Yerba Mate Enlighten Mint Energy Drink Review


After years of waiting and searching I finally found a place that sells these in Canada - Highland Farms in Mississauga. Now I know what you are thinking - why didn't you order them online? Do you know how expensive it is to ship full sized energy drinks across the border? Quite a bit expensive and I have done it on a few occasions with other energy drinks.

Taste

As soon as you pop the tab open, you are hit by a strong wave of mint and honey that quickly fills the air around the drink. The strong mint aroma jolted my brain from semi-awake to fully-awake.The drink is absolutely fantastic. 

Like the aroma, there is a strong mint note at the start. Some honey comes right after with earthy tea notes underneath. The finish is dry and lemony with layers of yerba mate, mint and honey. 

Energy

There are 150 mg of naturally occurring caffeine in the can, which is a lot more than I expected from such a drink. The effects are a bit delayed when compared to a sugary energy drink (not that this doesn't have sugar - 28 g per can), but once you first feel the effects, the boost just comes in a huge wave. It took about 20 minutes for me to feel anything after the initial burst of mint aroma that jolted my mind awake.

There are no jitters and I felt very focused for a good 15-20 minutes. Once the caffeine was fully absorbed, I was ready to get out of the house and run my errands. I felt great for hours and when I didn't experience a crash at the end.

This is one fine drink in my book. I cannot wait to try the other flavours I found.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99
Taste - 9.5/10
Energy - 8/10

Overall - 17.5/20...delicious tea energy drink with a non-jittery energy boost

No comments:

Post a Comment