Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Monster Energy Ultra Red Review


So I went to the US again for a few hours and unfortunately for me, this is the only new energy drink I was able the find at the gas station I stopped at. I also got an energy shot, but more on that later. From my past few trips to Michigan, it seems like gas stations and 7-11s in Canada and the US are starting to carry similar caffeinated items and in order to find something new, I have to venture off the beaten path, which is not always something I can do when I am travelling.

Anyhow, I cannot complain too much as I still got a new thing to try.

Taste

The can is red, the drink is red and you know what that means...well...a few things really - it is either fruit punch, cherry, berry, or cranberry flavored. I know that it can also be strawberry, or a strawberry cocktail, but how many of those have you seen that pack a caffeine punch? Also beet????

Back to the taste - it is a cranberry/cherry/fruit punch combo. The cherries are dominant at the start, but shortly after the first burst of flavor comes a cranberry note and a medley of unidentifiable fruits save for a hint of lime buried somewhere in there.

There are no off-putting flavors in my opinion and the sugar balance is damn good. The aftertaste is semi-clean with only a very minor diet aftertaste build up.

Overall, I think this is a very good flavor and though it may sound boring, it is actually quite tasty.

Energy

There are 140 mg of caffeine in the can, which to me seems to be on the lower end of the spectrum for such drinks. However, the drink works as expected with a quick, but gradual build up with no jitters (I drank mine over the course of 20-25 minutes) and a caffeine high that lasts for 2-3 hours with a very gentle comedown.

Scores:
Cost - $3.49 (if I remember correctly)
Taste - 8.8/10
Energy - 8.2/10

Overall - 17/20...sounds boring, but very tasty

No comments:

Post a Comment