Saturday, June 7, 2014

Chillo Hemp Energy Drink Review


Earlier this week I was at Queen West in Toronto buying some bitters and maraschino cherries for the "home bar" when I noticed the word "energy" in the corner of my eye. Upon further investigation, I saw that the there were a few energy drinks chilling (hehe...they were in a fridge) in the corner of the store. I couldn't really see what they were but I asked the store owner to add one to my list of items.

When I got home I investigate the purchase and the shockingly high price of $4.99 for the tiny 250 mL can....$5 for a Chillo Hemp Energy Drink? Oh well, given the fact that there hasn't been anything new recently (is it me or is this energy drink craze fading away?), $5 is fine.

Taste

I bet you are as excited as me to learn what a hemp energy drink tastes like, right? Well it tastes like a Red Bull with an earthy, hempy tone. I was expecting something completely different, but a few things should have tipped me off - the drink is made in Austria and it comes in a 250 mL can. I am sure Chillo uses the same base but with the added hemp seed extracts.

Don't get me wrong, I love the taste of Red Bull, but I was expecting a bit more originality out of this one. The earthiness is a nice touch, but come on...spice it up a bit more.

Energy

Caffeine is one of the main ingredients, but there is no indication of how much is in the can. Since this is a Red Bull clone, I will assume that there are around 80 mg of caffeine in the can. But just to be sure, I also investigated the company website, which revealed more of nothing so I will go ahead and assume there are 80 mg of caffeine in the can.

This assumption is probably correct since the effects are similar to those of Red Bull - a quick sugar rush followed by about 1 to 2 hours of a boost. There are some jitters, but I thought they weren't too bad. I didn't experience a crash at the end, but I did have this first thing in the morning and when I drink an energy drink first thing in the morning, I don't normally experience a crash once the effects end.

Scores:
Cost - $4.99 from the Queen West store in Toronto that sells bitters
Taste - 8/10
Energy - 6/10

Overall - 14/20...tastes like an earthy Red Bull

No comments:

Post a Comment