Sunday, June 10, 2018

V8 Energy Drinks in Canada - Round 2

V8 recently released another round of energy drinks and I was lucky enough to score a few. For the first round of their Canadian releases, check out my post from 2016.

Orange Pineapple


I actually reviewed the US version of this a few years ago. This one is a little different and not in a good way. The US one had an amazing, intense aroma with a ton of fruits and vegetables, while this one has a more subdued one that reminds me more of a cheap soft drink than a fruit-packed beverage.

The flavor is a little different too. The tea and artificial sweetener (rebiana, a stevia leaf extract) are much more pronounced to the point where the sweetener is pretty much the aftertaste. The orange flavor is subtle to light while the pineapple barely comes through.

Not as big of a fan of this one as I was of the US version. I used to buy it and drink it by the 6-pack.

Taste - 6.5/10

Raspberry Grape


The aroma on this one is amazing, but the flavor is very sweetener and green tea heavy which almost completely decimates any berry and grape flavors. I say almost, because there is still a light raspberry undertone at the start and a subtle grape note towards the finish that lingers in the aftertaste...and that's it.

I think this will be better sold as a rebranded V8 Green Tea flavored beverage.

Taste - 5/10

Energy

These V8s performed like all other V8 energy drinks so I will recycle some old text to describe these - the effects if these 80 mg cans are not as intense as a can of Red Bull since there are only 10 grams of sugar, but you still get a brief sugar rush within 10-15 minutes. I did not experience any jitters and even felt focused for a bit. When the caffeine kicked, it gave me about 1.5 hours of energy which slowly went away without any drama.

Energy - 6/10

Overall - 11/20 to 12.5/20...not the greatest batch of new energy drinks

No comments:

Post a Comment